XJ220 | Page 2 | LamborghiniChat
News

XJ220

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Discussion (not model specific)' started by HMS, Sep 21, 2004.

1. There is a guy in Potomac MD that has a purple one. He keeps it in his garage which is all glass...lol Let me ksee if I can get some pics

Antony

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. so true, what were they thinking????

4. Warren, I've seen that car there. Not sure if it's for sale though. They had the LeMans Bently there a year ago. Now that thing looking amazing.

5. Very interesting commenst on this matter. It is amazing how rumors and ideas actually take the shape of reality.

When I drive any of my lambos, people come and ask me about maintenance. They say they have heard these cars break down a lot and it costs and arm and a leg to maintain them

Well I don't know about any one of you guys, but I've either been very lucky with 5 lambos, some of them in my ownership for over 7 years, a few Ferraris and most every other exotic car, or I truly believe if you know how to take care of these cars they will be hassle and headache free.

As far as the XJ220, I unfortunately believe many of you are stating opinions rather than facts, without having had much experience about it. I own 2 XJ220_S vehicles. There are only 5 of them in the world. I have also driven many regular XJ220 cars.

If it is the cosmetics of it that you don't like, that's a personal opinion, but for anyone of you to make statements regarding the lack of servicability or dependability of these cars, you guys are speaking without merit and without first hand experience.

My cars are pulling 680HP, therefore they're more high performance than the regular XJ220. I've driven both cars last year as much as I have my Lambos. I have not treated these vehicles any differently than the Lambos. Even with my "S" cars I drive with the A/C fully blasted in street traffic. Both cars and their A/Cs work cooler than my Diablo does in similar conditions.

I believe many of you are making premature and inexperienced statements regarding these vehicles. The reason why I decided to discuss this matter is not because I'm in love with these cars, but to communicate first hand experience of how wonderful and under appreciated these supercars are.

You can ask some of your buddies on the Ferrari side regarding the run that we took with the Enzo a few months back. I was the lead car and the Enzo was following me in the canyons. We were driving quite fast and strong. Neither did my XJ220S give me any problems, nor did the Enzo present any challenge.

6. By the way, that is one of my XJ220S vehicles in Pasadena.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I agree the XJ 220 is under appreciated !!!!!! Can I trade you an SE 30 for an XJ 220 ? The mild version. There is some nice ultra suede blue material in the c/f storage bins. Perhaps you might enjoy an SE 30 ? LOL You have seen my statements before about THE bargain Hypercar !!!!! It was Norwoods that gave me the maintainance "stories." Please kindly consider my offer. LOL I will also through in a 2000 Suzuki Hayabusa w/ full race Ti can and remapped computer. This was also the last year of the unrestricted missiles. The bike is as fast as hell.

Thnx for the write ups.

We all love the XJ 220.

Enjoy her.

9. I think he has a SE30

10. Yes I know. I am just having some fun. What about the Hayabusa ?

11. I was a couple of XJ220s at Platinum. Very nice and under rated. A must for a car collector!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Are those your XJs at Platinum as well? I believe one owner owns them both. One of them was converted into an automatic??!!

Now what is the difference between an LM model and an S model? I for one truly love the styling of the XJ220, but agree that the interior is plasticy, older looking. I was seriously considering the XJ at one point but then fell in love with the 6.0s. I still have one too many 6.0s and am looking to sell my titanium one.

14. No, those belong to the dealership. I believe the silver one was just sold. Converting the other one to automatic......(no Comment). There has definitely been a pick up in demand for these cars. I wouldn't base any value projection based on Ebay. You've seen what they bid on Lambos on Ebay. You rarely see a car sell on Ebay and most of the time if you see any exotic meet the minimum, you only get to see it listed back again as the deal didn't go through. Ebay is a good source to expose your vehicle to a wider audience than just local papers, however it's bunch of kids and wannabes bidding on these cars.

As far as the difference The S is only 2300lbs and has 680 HP. Most of the body panels are different as well. If you search for one of my older posts regarding this subject, you'll get the details on these vehicles. I do not want to sound repetitive and make the board members have to read the same subject over again.

By the way the interior on the S has been modified with racing seats and 5 point seat belts and it is a mixture of leather and alcantara.

15. I understand you really like your cars,as I do mine, however I think an Enzo is in an entirly different league than your Jag.

16. One of these threads recently suggested that the XJ220 is trading in the 250K range. They aren't, and I think they are moving toward the 150K range. As an example one just sold at the Kruse auction at Concorso Italiano last month for $167,400. It was, according to Keith Martin's Sports Car Market information, a near new 1,100 mile car with no identifiable problems and rated at condition 1. There are others listed around 175K that could probably be had for less.
    I'll admit I haven't owned one but I have done some due-diligance in anticipation of getting one in the next couple of years. The cars are very expensive to repair and maintain, way beyond Modena money. I'm still going to get one.
    I know of one for sale in Europe that was in an accident and has had the repair done with an S front-end. The S looks better than the stock SJ220, especially the covered headlights. A car like this with S turbos, brake upgrades, clutch upgrades, etc. would make a great car. You could probably even justify converting a stock car to a racing type interior for street use. I think you could recover your money after these mods.
    As to the XJ220S weighing only 2300 pounds I don't believe it. That is the number that is thrown around, but when I questioned someone who modifies, maintains and rebuilds XJ220's about that number he confirmed my suspicions. He said no way, hundreds of pounds heavier. I would be interested in having someone weigh an XJ220S to see the real number.

17. XJ220 what are the numbers like top speed, 0-6, ¼ mile etc. Im sure it will kill any car in the street even a F1 and an Enzo.
    2300 pounds is super light! Is this street legal and does it comply with DOT?

I have seen these cars in the $190 to $170 range as well. I don’t know about the S type but I know XJ220 has 2, Marconi and 1 and I don’t know were the other 2 are.

18. I'll admit I haven't owned one but I have done some due-diligance in anticipation of getting one in the next couple of years. The cars are very expensive to repair and maintain, way beyond Modena money. I'm still going to get one.
    I know of one for sale in Europe that was in an accident and has had the repair done with an S front-end. The S looks better than the stock SJ220, especially the covered headlights. A car like this with S turbos, brake upgrades, clutch upgrades, etc. would make a great car. You could probably even justify converting a stock car to a racing type interior for street use. I think you could recover your money after these mods.
    As to the XJ220S weighing only 2300 pounds I don't believe it.[/QUOTE]

As much as I hope not to sound arrogant, but I must reply to your post. First of all, you're hoping to get one in the next few years. Then you're commenting about modifying an existing car. Then you claim you're mechanic does not believe these cars are 2300lbs and you'ld like someone to weigh it for you!

Wow, someone must really try to go through a lot of trouble to try to please you. I guess I don't care about my hard earned money that I must have thrown so much funds at 2 of these cars without doing DD. Where you and your mechanic who surely hasn't even seen any of these XJ220S' can make statements against facts. I not only do have documentation from TWR motorsports about the specifics of the S cars but here's a link where you might find interesting to read some of the specs of these cars.

http://www.*************/cars/1994@$Jaguar@$XJ220%20S%20TWRx.html

Now don't tell me that you don't believe these published numbers either!

19. Someone offered me $450K for my titanium car and I rejected the offer faster than they could present it to me.

20. 2300 lbs would be amazingly light, in the league of an mr2!!!! for a car that looks much bigger.... withthe hp rating, it would have to be faster than any super car.... how come they sell so cheaply????

21. I don't understand your point. What does getting a car in the next couple of years have to do with modifying a standard XJ220?

Since you brought it up I was refering to Don Law of Don Law Racing in Europe, he has worked on and modifed more XJ220's than most anyone. The stock car weighs just over 3200 pounds according to most reliable sources (including the definitive "Jaguar XJ220" by Philip Porter). The C (Competition) or S version retains the basic structure of the street car and replaces the front and rear non-structural aluminum with one piece clips. The interior is stripped, the drivetrain remains basically the same. No way a street going XJ220S weighs 900 lbs less than a stock car.

Again, I got this information from Don and haven't weighed one myself, I can
    give you his phone number if you want it. It would be interesting if you would have yours weighed for yourself and post the results here. As far as ************* goes, I don't consider them authoritative.

Respectfully,
    Scott

[/QUOTE]

22. I completely agree.

23. Exotic and collector cars are no different than stocks, antiques, paintings, etc. It's a matter of demand and mostly awareness. Valuation is a matter of speculation and time. Sometimes when a stock or a certain car model is ignored it becomes under appreciated, forgotten and under valued. Only time will determine the valuation of an object. In the case of XJ220 the controversy regarding the engine, which was an excuse for buyers to back out as worldwide recession hit, along with lack of introduction in the US, made it a forgotten and ignored model. Now that older Ferraris have started shooting through the roof, there are more people willing to expose themselves to XJ220 at a discount to the collector car market. As valuation rises too high on certain low producion number Ferraris, money will start looking for a cheaper car with higher chance of appreciation. It is no different than looking for secondary stocks within a hot sector.

It also takes 2 decades plus for exotic cars to start becomig collector pieces.

As far as size, it is a huge car. It's 7 feet wide, however when you look through the rear of the car in the engine compartment, you see a lot of empty space created by the massive venturi effect panels.

24. Kill an Enzo or an F1!!!.....I highly doubt it.

25. Why wont it kill an F1 or Enzo?
    How much does the Enzo Weigh and how much HP?

26. A six instead of a twelve is a big deal. I don't think it was an "excuse" at all. Plus the complete lack of any racing pedegree also plays a big part.

"Now that older Ferraris have started shooting through the roof, there are more people willing to expose themselves to XJ220 at a discount to the collector car market."

Here too I disagree. This Jag is no Ferrari and the F-car collector isn't really interested in this car. Don't get me wrong...the car is very interesting but it never really garnered the attention of the exotic collector for the most part. I think the steady fall in it's price reflects this. I think these cars will continue creeping down in price and probably level out at some point. Will they go up in value? I personally don't believe so for the above mentioned reasons.

27. Didn't an Enzo owner on this site say that he was surprised how well it kept up with the Enzo...but then dropped away slightly at higher speeds.

28. Yes, that was Armen. He used to own Newport Autosport and I have talked to him on the phone about XJ220's. Newport has had a Show and Display legal XJ220 with less than 1,000 miles sitting on the lot for months. It was at 220K now it is at 200K.
    I negotiated some on the car but determined it was too much money based on the fact it doesn't have a good service record (i.e. no: tanks replaced, brake upgrades, cam belts, etc.) and has some damage history.

SK9007 asked: Why wont it kill an F1 or Enzo?
    How much does the Enzo Weigh and how much HP?

The Enzo can drop the XJ220 because it weighs about the same but makes more power (around 660hp). I'm sure the XJ220S would take the Enzo though.
    Ask fchat member XJ220S about that.