Will the New 06 ZO6 give the Diablo's a run for the money??? | LamborghiniChat
News

Will the New 06 ZO6 give the Diablo's a run for the money???

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Discussion (not model specific)' started by racerdj, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. racerdj

racerdj Formula 3

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Just curious having viewed Chevy's web cast from Detroit on the new ZO6, any thoughts here. Due the the wonderful reception I'm getting in firming up a F 430 deal, my thought's have turned to the new ZO6. In bright red of course. Here is the link to more info. http://www.chevrolet.com/corvettez06/

2. FerrariSlave

FerrariSlave Guest

Nov 14, 2003
    Chicago & Miami
    Possibly when a bunch of mods come out.. Two totally different cars though uncomparible if you ask me. The Z06 is a definetly a great achievement from Chevy but still wont be any compition for Lamborghini for Ferrari in terms of buyers maybe in Numbers thats it.

The z06 doesnt look to bad but id take the F430 over it anyday.

For you Id say keep the Diablo 6.0, Get a red F430 and a Red Z06. :)

3. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Soon, there will be ZO6's stuffed in every other garage and tall weeded lawn when Blue Book tanks that car. Diablo on the other hand will always be the most sought after, best car to be seen driving, super exotic.

I'd say keep the F430. When that Ferrari is on the streets people will forget performance numbers very quickly upon sight.

4. ralfabco

ralfabco F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixieland
    Full Name:
    Israel Beiteinu
    I have a different opinion. I think the Z06 is worth every dime. None of these exotics offer anything better than the Z06, other than quality of the interior materials, and having something exclusive. - They also offer the potential for hi maintainance bills. I really think it (ZO6) needs to be looked at. Just imagine the ZO6 with exhaust manifold headers, and a dual exhaust ? You can probably add another 50 bhp ? There is also plenty of potential, to update the engine with more power. - I am talking about the factory taking care of this. (not a hot rod). I do agree that it is quite unfortunate, to see two ZO6 coupes, everyday while driving home from work.

The new Viper coupe, may be an alternative to the ZO6; for those seeking a little more exclusive car.

Also the ZO6 will have no problem, with the Diablo in acceleration times. This also includes stock ZO6 vehicles, that can be picked up at your local Chevy dealer. - It is a problem. American car companies are currently giving away supercars.

5. zan

zan Karting

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
    Does anyone else find it amusing that this "state of the art" vette, which hasn't been released yet is being compared to a car that went out of production four years ago. I love vettes, and owned a couple, probably will again, but if you are comparing performance, I would compare it to something from the same technological era.

6. Tenney

Tenney Formula Junior
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Based on numbers, sounds like the Z06'll give most any showroom stock car w/a license plate a run for the money. Actually, for the money, Z06 might be the best deal out there.

7. bobafett

bobafett Formula 3

Sep 28, 2002
    Now if only they would do something about that interior...

--Dan

8. ralfabco

ralfabco F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixieland
    Full Name:
    Israel Beiteinu

This is true. I doubt GM will ever figure this out ? However look at the current Murcie. Most people feel that interior is a let down. I have heard Honda Accord mentioned with that interior.

I have commented on this before. Look at the option sheets of some cars. There are "many" absolutely worthless options, that some companies offer forsale. - It is simply amazing that nobody will offer real gauges as an option. For the buyer who is willing to spend X on an expensive car, perhaps he might be willing to spend Y on "real" gauges ? What do they offer today ? Answer - A one piece flat board, with some needles.

- Look at what they put on the cars of the 1930's. - Mother of pearl and brass !!!!! - Absolute works of art. I understand that they do not make cars by hand anymore. Someone will pay $750.00 for a yellow seat belt at Porsche. Perhaps they will pay substantially more for "real" gauges. - It makes more sense than the yellow seat belts.

9. scycle2020

scycle2020 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    you cant compare an exotic, 12cyclinder, midengine wild lambo to the427 ci chevy vette...two different animals...the lambo looks better, much nicer interior, better engine sound, midengine handing and feel and exlusivity...the vette is a great car for the money, but it is not and will not be an exotic, for better or worse..

10. scycle2020

scycle2020 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    as for the exotic car vette comparison...i drove my brothers z06 and my 360 back to back on several occasions, the ferraris superior engine sound,high reving engine,.steering feel, nimbleness and driving position always come thru, even though the z06 was faster.....in real world driving it is more than just 0-60,top speed and skid path numbers....

11. bobafett

bobafett Formula 3

Sep 28, 2002
    Can you imagine what a Z06 with a gutted interior, real seats, and 25k in suspension and engine mods will be?

TAKE IT TO THE TRACK!

--Dan

12. Malfoy

Malfoy Karting

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    I might have to disagree with that. Since I don't know the exact numbers of the z06 I cant say for sure but despite the looks if ur looking for best numbers for price, your quest will probably lead you to the SRT4 or STi/EVO.

13. FIAutoSports

FIAutoSports Rookie

Nov 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD, US
    Full Name:
    John Ritenour
    The EVO is hard to beat for the money. 0.89 skidpad, 271hp(~225-230whp), internals that can handle up to 600hp, AWD. And the EVO has run a 12.9 in stock trim. With a larger turbo, more boost, suspension, and tuning ($5K), you can easily hit 400whp and run low 12's or high 11's and pull a skidpad of over 1.0

But the EVO has a cheap interior. And you definitely would need a new clutch, as the stock one can barely handle the power it has.

14. racerdj

racerdj Formula 3

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Having a ZO6, 360 and Diablo in the stable, I have to compare them to my children. I would not want to get rid of any of them. They all have different personalities. With the 360 and Diablo, boy do I miss those $19 oil changes!!

15. rifter

rifter Karting

Dec 14, 2003
    i don't care how fast it is.

it's still ugly and in no way comparable to a diablo.

16. robiferretti

robiferretti Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    as far as production cars go it will be the best bang for your buck car. With simple bolt ons the car will maintain a warranty and put down 500 rwhp at 2900 lbs with the reliabilty of any stock car. Its hard to think of anything bad to say about it. Sure you can make that power with the evo or the neon, but they are not the same type of car the neon is fwd which is utterly useless in the sports car world and the Evo needs Major modifications to run with the big dogs. not just a new exhaust and filter.

17. mj23

mj23 Rookie

Aug 29, 2004
    forgive me as i am new to the board but i will say that comparing the two isn't even fair. definitely not apples to apples. i have owned several cars that and maybe only one that is faster than the murci, but at the end of the day it's not about how fast you can go for X amount of dollars it's that a lambo is a lambo a ferrari is a ferrari, and the feeling of driving on of these works of art is second to none even if some punk like me has a mustang with 10K under the hood and could spank almost anything under the sun and give even an enzo a scare during a sprint.

18. mj23

mj23 Rookie

Aug 29, 2004
    btw just saw a yellow 03 murci at local starbucks. unbeleivable. he even opened the doors for me just so i could smell it. what a nice car. sounded great, pretty sure he had aftermarket exhaust as well and it sounded un beleivable. oh yes and the smell! kind of like a mixture of real leather and too much money. ha ha!

19. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2004
    But back to the original question.....Not even close!

20. C6Z06

C6Z06 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    MI
    I think the new Z06 will run right with and possibly beat the Diablo.

500+hp at 3130 lbs is not to be taken lightly. Only time will tell.

21. bentasm1

bentasm1 Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    Who cares?

A Corvette is speed. That's it.

Lamborghini is speed and exclusivity and the look. No corvette can match that. A corvette doesn't turn heads.

-Ben

22. FerrariSlave

FerrariSlave Guest

Nov 14, 2003
    Chicago & Miami
    New z06 is definetly a work of art from chevy but it cant compare to exotics because its not. I appreciate it for what it is, it would make a fun weekend track car or a hot rod if your into American Muscle.

Pictures and Article.

http://exotixboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=52

23. Pantera

Pantera Formula 3

Nov 6, 2004
    I think the new Z06 can take on one of the first model Diablos. but not the VT, SE,SV or 6.0 VT. not the GT models.Those models do have over 500bhp

I think this comparison or saying that it can beat it is stupid because the Diablo was made back in early 90"s and this new Z06 is being made today shouldnt it be compared to a Murcielago? insead of a Diablo?. The Diablo is no longer being made so this is like comparing the new MustangGT with the Ferrari testarossa.

24. infraredline

infraredline Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    I came on here tonight and I read two threads so far. The first one showed a video of lightly modded honda S2000 embarassing 2 Ferrari 360 CS drivers around a road course. http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44789&page=1&pp=20
    And this one comparing a corvette to a Lambo. By no means is my internet racing experience limited to tonight.

Ultimately you have two trains of thought on the subject:

1) the people who are amazed that someone would buy a sports car from ferrari or lambo because even though they have some of the best minds in the world charging in excess of $100K to build them an exclusive sports car, any old joe with a decent japanese or american car and a little left over cash can take them apart on the track.

2) the people who already spent $150K on some italian exotica and take this opportunity to point out that they are getting a nicer car that also goes pretty fast.

Both are right. And, I think, group 1 is having more fun on the road, and group 2 is having more fun when they get home to their supermodel girlfriends.

25. ralfabco

ralfabco F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixieland
    Full Name:
    Israel Beiteinu
    What is even more entertaining ? Get ready for 600bhp. The Shelby concept will more than likely be produced after the GT. The Z06 will probably be bumped in similiar hp numbers within a year or two after introduction. - Chevy has consistently done this throughout the Corvette's production runs.

I do want a new ZO6 (the upgraded car !!). Of course I would wait two or three years down the road, and purchase a new model at year end for 10K+ off of MSRP. (Imagine the car with two strait exhaust pipes, mufflers and real exhaust headers). Add another 40/50bhp ?