Why Haven't Countach Values Climbed Like their Supercar Contemporaries | LamborghiniChat
News

Why Haven't Countach Values Climbed Like their Supercar Contemporaries

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Supercars' started by Rossocorsa1, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 Formula Junior

May 14, 2017
    Aside from maybe the periscopio, why haven't Countach values climbed into the same realm as its contemporaries? I've wondered this for a while. Think about it. If you're anywhere near my age (I'm 50, so give or take a few years) it's safe to say that no other car was as much desired when we were kids and teens as the Countach. We constantly hear the "poster on the wall" anecdote, and for it was true (although I had 5 or 6). On the other hand, the 288 GTO, the F40, the 959, all have climbed well into the millions. As amazing as all those cars are, it never made sense to me that the most desired of all of them hasn't jumped as high, or higher. I'd be curious to hear opinions.

2. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Formula Junior
    Giallo Subscribed

Aug 28, 2015
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Vince Finaldi
    Supply and demand. These cars were made in collectively larger numbers than your examples.

Tu160bomber likes this.
  3. You also have to take into account that both Ferrari and Porsche have a great racing history.

gutshot and Tu160bomber like this.
  4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Exeter and Cirencester
    Full Name:
    John
    You are not comparing like with like. The appropriate Ferrari comparison for the Countach would be the BB and the Testarossa.

ralfabco, PineChris and Tu160bomber like this.
  5. staatsof

staatsof Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Hiddin' in da garden
    Full Name:
    Boo

Maybe not quite the same for the periscopo though.

It could be a lot worse value wise though. The Maserati Bora is a far superior automobile in terms of construction and comfort on the road and most Countachs weren't really all that much faster in real world driving either. The Countach is very truck like by comparison but admittedly also quite the wild child the Bora was never meant to be. The Occasional hot date versus the one you marry scenario.

6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Exeter and Cirencester
    Full Name:
    John
    Although neither is on my shopping list, I reckon I would sooner have a Bora than a Countach. Unfortunately value and ability are at best loosely connected. Although I have driven neither, I do not imagine that a Persicopo is vastly superior to any other Countach. If value was solely about ability, one wouldn't be able to buy five E-types for the price of one DB5.

7. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 Formula Junior

May 14, 2017
    I can appreciate the aforementioned comparisons, but, come on, the Countach was on a whole different playing field from cars like the Testarossa, BB or the Bora. Sure, one can argue that this car performed better or that car was faster or another company has racing heritage - all valid. But, the Countach took the automotive world by storm. It was truly iconic. No car before (and one could say since) ever had the presence the Countach had/has.

8. EarlyCat

EarlyCat Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 9, 2005
    Shot gun shack in another part of the world
    Full Name:
    Marty Bryde
    I think the catch with the 288 GTO, F40 & 959 is that they have never been cheap, in comparison to other cars, at any given time. If your really fair about a comparison, look how poorly the Testarossa has done. Most don't seem to sell for what they did new back in the 80's.

Ellagirl likes this.
  9. geno berns

geno berns Formula Junior
    Giallo Subscribed

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    The Countach gets non-car people to wake up and notice every time. It’s like no other car I know. It’s surprised me a few times. People and often females see it in person for the first time are left virtually speechless.

10. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    One of my favorite stories is just after I purchased mine and drove it into work. I always stopped at a local Starbucks outside of the Boeing plant to pick up a latte. When I pulled up to the drive-through window the Barrista went to hand me the latte but I had to raise the door since you can’t fit anything through the window and she said: “That is the coolest car I have ever seen in my entire life”. LOL!

Mike

11. ElvisNasty

ElvisNasty Karting

Dec 13, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Elvis Jenkins Nasty
    I always figured it was because a bunch of car critics who seem to have lost their nut sack in their wife's purse make a bunch of whining complaints about the Countach, like "wahhhh the clutch is too heavy..." or "wahhh I am not strong enough to turn the steering wheel." This scares off some car collectors and affects supply vs. demand. James May, if you are reading, I just want you to know you are a true wussbag.

ralfabco, jb21, Countachqv and 6 others like this.
  12. joe sackey

joe sackey Three Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    This is a complicated subject, but I have to point out that there are Countachs that have sold as high as @ $2 million (LP400) and others have sold @ $1 million (LP400S & Downdraft) at the peak, in the not too distant future, some of the aforementioned will be back up there again and beyond.

Correct.

The Fuel-injected Countach should be compared directly with the Testarossa.

The Countach is only beginning to be understood & appreciated, the same thing that I saw happening with Miuras 10 years ago is beginning to happen with Countachs.

Agreed, the sissies did create years of negativity that is only just beginning to be universally rejected.

jb21, Countachqv, LC3929 and 2 others like this.
  13. Ellagirl

Ellagirl Formula 3

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen

14. Ciro Izzo

Ciro Izzo Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2005
    A well sorted Countach will deliver the very top of incredible driving experiences. And I’m including F40, Carrera GT etc. There are so many variants to break that experience down even further. All of them have such fantastic differences. A long production run will do that.

And the response on the road and when you stop is unparalleled . If you are not smiling while driving one, seek professional help:).

Many collectors don’t understand the breakdown of LP400, Lowbody, Downdraft etc. Time will change that for those collectors/drivers wanting to explore .
    It’s a fun and interesting trek, lots to learn.

15. Ellagirl

Ellagirl Formula 3

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    I 100% agree in your Driver/collector example, to me ,it is in that order, and also understand the real world differences/similarities between the variants, there Is only one way to buy a Countach: Drive and experience the different variants,ask questions to non selling owners, then go for it.

Ciro Izzo likes this.
  16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I missed this correct & undeniable observation, as I always say, Motorsports linkage is important and often translates to both performance & value.

Totally agree with that, when a Countach is running like it should run, and you are driving it like it should be driven, you feel like something special is happening.

Every time.

LC3929, Ciro Izzo and Ellagirl like this.
  17. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    I say racing heritage also. Lamborghini in the Countach days had no race track proof to back up the look :(

18. Booker

Booker Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Global Moderator Moderator Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    I have a feeling some collectors aren't in it to learn, or even fully experience driving their machines. ;)

Which makes sense why people that truly love driving will love the Countach after driving it as yall have said above

19. Ciro Izzo

Ciro Izzo Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2005
    Racetrack heritage maybe more for a certain generation . 60’s Ferrari’s are the most valuable obviously representing mostly heroic drivers and dangerous cars and plenty of unfortunate injury and death.

The Countach was pure fantasy representing an incredible era of living everyday LIFE to the extreme. That’s when I was a teenager. Thats the car I care about.

And I’ve driven Ferrari’s on the track many times , been to Cavallino multiple times and most of the others so it’s not a one sided view. Just my opinion after a wide ranging sample.

LC3929 and Tu160bomber like this.
  20. staatsof

staatsof Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Hiddin' in da garden
    Full Name:
    Boo
    Not me. I drove my friends quattrovalvole downdraft specially prepared for him by Al Burtoni. Yes it's amazing to look at and sounds great but it's a truck to operate.
    My Espada is an absolute joy by comparison though the steering is very heavy.

My friend didn't enter his Countach in the Nevada Silver State but he did his Bora and I played copilot. A shame the event was spoiled by a big crash with a fatality.
    He traveled from Kansas City to that event and then on to Las Vegas, Sendona and back to Kansas city. He had his wife along and substantial luggage for a mid engine car.
    Hard top do that in a Countach. But he also absolutely loved the attention that car garnered. At the time he got into a huge dispute with Audi and the local leadership over some serious issue with whatever their top of the line sedan was. So when he really wanted to torque the dealership owner he'd go down there to talk and go in the Countach. Then the entire shop would empty for about 45 minutes to look at the car ... LOL :D He utilized it well in that regard.

21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Funny, I find them very easy to operate, relaxing actually.

22. Ciro Izzo

Ciro Izzo Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2005
    I have to agree. As compared to what kind of truck ?

23. wbaeumer

wbaeumer Formula 3
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Well, I found the car not much truck-like and in particular not the LP400 on its much thinner XWX.
    I owned a Ferrari BBi in 1983. Nice driver on the straights but in corners hopless! At the same time I owned also a BMW M1 and could drive circles around my own BBi in corners when driven by a very good friend of mine.

Azar and Tu160bomber like this.
  24. wbaeumer

wbaeumer Formula 3
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Sorry, but I do not agree reg. the F40 which was a very difficult car to handle but incredibly fast. It clearly would be much faster than any Countach.

25. wbaeumer

wbaeumer Formula 3
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    The Bora was a much more reasonable car than the flashy, eccentric Countach. But the word reason is not very important when it comes to supercars!

staatsof and Tu160bomber like this.