What is this "X-factor"? | LamborghiniChat
News

What is this "X-factor"?

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Discussion (not model specific)' started by henrus, Jul 31, 2004.

1. henrus

henrus Karting

Jul 18, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Henry
    if you've seen the Top Gear review of the Gallardo, you've heard their criticism of the Gallardo missing the "X-factor" when in comparison to a Ferrari. What exactly are they talking about? They mentioned the fact that Ferrari has their illustrious history in auto racing and their heritage of legendary cars. i get that (though maybe not value that so much in assessing a specific car). and i also get that both the 355 and 360 seem to have an engine sound that seems unparalleled, even by Ferrari's other current cars. is there anything else that makes up "X-factor" and why do they think the Gallardo is missing it? They seemed to think the Murcielgo has it.

2. ryalex

ryalex Formula Junior
    Consultant

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    My personal opinion is that 75% of the "unquantifiable mystique" of a car is the sound.

The other 25% is marketing image: how successfully the company has created an idea or vision attached to the car by the consumer. This is decided in the reviewer/buyer's mind before the test begins.

For example, Ferrari has everyone convinced that a Ferrari road car is like unto their race cars. And Buick has everyone convinced that you must be old to buy a Buick. And Lincoln has convinced people that they are taxis.

Lamborghini is recovering from it's image of overwhelming image of excess and eccentrism to more of a professional image under it's German parenting. Even the execs joke about the gold chains and chest hair stuff (as per that Forbes article). It will take a while, but after one or two more generations of solid cars, people will begin to think less of the quirky Countach and more of the refined Murcielago.

3. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Rookie

Dec 6, 2003
    As far as I can tell the Lamborghini Gallardo has the allure of the 360 ..

That said..the curves of the 360 are a little sexier than the Bold Gallardo..

Doesn't mean its better just a little more sensual..whereas the Gallardo's folded metal is more of a bold statement..

Maybe thats whats being implied ?

4. Ade

Ade Rookie

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    I agree with what top gear said, but for a different reason. For me personnally the Gallardo when compared to the Murci does feel likes its somewhat living in the shadow of its bigger brother which makes it look a little small and un-agressive.

If the Murci didnt exist, I think the opinion would be quite different. It would be judged more in its own right... and verse the 360, its very close and down to taste, and don't we all know it :)

5. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    "X-factor" is intangible.

you can't explain it. you can't fake it.

you got it or you don't.

still, i personally wouldn't mind a lambo, even if it only covers 25 letters of the alphabet...

6. henrus

henrus Karting

Jul 18, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Henry
    nice laugh....

7. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Karting
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    It will take a while, but after one or two more generations of solid cars, people will begin to think less of the quirky Countach and more of the refined Murcielago.

Your probably right, but this is what will make Lamborghini just another car. An exotic is suppose to be quirky, refinment is my worst nightmare.