What if any fire extinguishers do you carry | LamborghiniChat
News

What if any fire extinguishers do you carry

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Supercars' started by f4udriver, Apr 24, 2020.

1. f4udriver

f4udriver Rookie

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    Two weeks ago one of my Mosler's burned due to a fuel fire. The fire was so quick I doubt a hand held fire extinguisher could of stopped it. But now I am on a mission to add one to each of my valuable cars. My other Mosler has a built in Halon system but I am going to add a handheld extinguisher. Mounting one in the cabin will not be a big deal to such a new design car. But what about a Countach

Any suggestions or examples of what others have done. I am trending towards a Safecraft PB5 since it hold 5 pounds of retardant and has a 25 second discharge time. I was also looking at the stick extinguishers but it looks like they don't last all that long.

After watching a valued car burn I was amazed how quickly the fire got to a point where only the fire department could put it out.
    I really don't want to drill any holes in the Countach. But how could you leave it to bounce around when driving.

And with that big box over the downdraft carbs could you even stop a fire in the carbs.

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Three Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Here's my fire extinguisher, a unit typically used in an 80s Group B rallycar, an FIA Sabelt Estintore dry chemical unit.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

S_AGATA likes this.
  3. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    It comes with a mounting tray and quick-release clamp fastening straps as illustrated, I've mounted it under my knees at the bottom of the driver's seat, plus I can transfer it to the passenger side trunk compartment.

Obviously, never have an unsecured extinguisher in the cockpit, in the event of an accident it's a deadly projectile.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Mike, I forgot to mention, IMO the best insurance against any kind of fire occurring in the first place is simply routine maintenance!

5. EarlyCat

EarlyCat Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 9, 2005
    Shot gun shack in another part of the world
    Full Name:
    Marty Bryde
    I carry a halon fire extinguisher sitting on the passenger side floor of whatever vintage car I drive. Due to the epa, that type is no longer sold. I also look at the engine running before I take it out. Fuel lines do become loose. If you do get a carb fire, with the enclosed air boxes, about the only thing you can do is crank the car over, which can put the fire out.

Tu160bomber likes this.
  6. JohnMH

JohnMH Karting

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai, UAE
  7. f4udriver

f4udriver Rookie

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    So far it looks like I may be purchasing the Safecraft PB5 with Halotron. It is supposed to last 25 seconds, which is quite a long time compared to the smaller extinguishers.
    The quick release mount is more then the fire extinguisher.
    My plan is to try and make a mount for the quick release that will come off of the seat bolts.

Tu160bomber likes this.
  8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Fire extinguishers are something that I can speak to with some authority. Full disclosure, I am one of the owners of Element Fire Extinguishers but I am also a car enthusiast and know the ins and outs of carrying an extinguisher. Allow me to present my information in point form:

1. Regardless of what you choose to carry, something is miles better than nothing. A small fire can get out of hand very quickly and especially with a classic car an extinguisher is a must.

2. While spontaneous engulfing of flames fires happen they are extraordinarily rare. These fires are beyond any extinguisher and are the domain of Fire Fighters with big red trucks. Most fires actually start quite small. These are the fires you tackle with an extinguisher so having something quickly available is essential. The idea of a fire extinguisher is to put out an incipient fire before it gets too big. After a certain point is why we carry insurance on our cars but there is no need to have a car burn to the ground because of a tiny fire that you did not have anything to fight it with.

3. In a fire time is EVERYTHING. For this reason an extinguisher MUST be kept in the cabin. Keeping it in the trunk is a total waste of time. In a fire you want to first make sure that you are safe and next tackle the blaze. A regular fire bottle only gives you 9-11 seconds so use that first before calling for help.

4. Of the available fire extinguisher types a dry chemical is the last one you should use in a car. While it is the cheapest, the powder released not only makes a huge mess but is also highly corrosive. Beyond that if any gets in the engine (not uncommon) the damage is severe. You really want to have a gas chemical (Halon, Halotron, CO2, Element).

5. Halon is an excellent product but is no longer available new and recycled Halon is very expensive. Do not mistake Halon with Halotron. Halatron is readily available but only half as effective by volume as Halon. Halatron is a sneaky product name fooling many people into thinking it is the same as Halon.

The shortcoming with any traditional fire extinguisher is that they are large, heavy, don't discharge very long, and expire every few years. By comparison an Element Fire Extinguisher is 80% smaller, 1/10th the weight, will discharge 5x longer (50-60 seconds vs. 9-11 seconds), never expires, and is not affected by temperature, vibration, or humidity. It is perfect to carry in the cabin and tackle the kind of fire you would take on with a hand held extinguisher. Best of all it fits in the small cabin of a Lambo quite nicely.

Check them out at www.elementfire.com

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ciro Izzo, DakotaGT, vfinaldi and 3 others like this.
  9. white out

white out Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2010
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I have an Element extinguisher in the compartment behind the driver seat in the Murci.

10. alberto

alberto Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I am interested in this extinguisher. I am currently transferring a 2.5lb bottle of Halon (which I can get recharged, but it's not cheap) between cars and is a pain to deal with an a real hazard in the event of an accident.

Can you talk more about this extinguisher? I looked at the website, but did not find an explanation of how it actually puts the fire out. Can you explain how it puts the fire out? Does it oxygen starve the flame? Also, they claim no residue is left over and that it can extinguish a wide range of fire types. Have you had a chance to test it out? Is it really residue free? One of the large advantages of Halon is that it is truly residue free. How does it compare?:

Thanks for your input. This seems like an interesting solution for vintage car guys if it does what they say.

11. GraemeS

GraemeS Karting

Jun 6, 2005
    Auckland New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graeme Stebbing
    I plan to install these in the engine bay lots of youtube videos of them being used very effective and amazon sell them ,https://www.afofireballs.com/products-specifications/

12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Alberto your questions are all covered in detail in the FAQ section of the website. This includes a link to a PDF document where (for the chemists out there) the process of putting the fire out with an Element is explained:

https://elementfire.com/pages/faqs

In addition YouTuber Normal Guy Supercar did his own test and review that he aired last week: