The BEST Countach ? | LamborghiniChat
News

The BEST Countach ?

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Discussion (not model specific)' started by amenasce, Feb 1, 2005.

?

What is the Best Countach ?

1. LP 400

2. LP 400 S

3. 5000 QV

4. 25 TH

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. amenasce

amenasce Formula 3

Oct 17, 2001
    Paris / Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew Menasce
    What is the best Countach ?

LP 400 is the purer and has that Classic touch.
    LP 400 S looks much modern than the 400 but still remains pure.
    LP 5000 QV is the Countach everyone knows . With all the wings and the best engine .
    25 TH ...The latest but the design is too complicated and overcharged .

2. whart

whart Formula 3
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    i know this is like the scene in The Holy Grail- but which QV- an injected one or a carb'd one? The latter would be my preference, but it's pretty rare in the States. Otherwise, an original periscope roof 400. Cleanest line.

3. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    1985 Countach US car 2 valve Fuel Injected they only made about 12 cars VERY RARE and if setup right VERY VERY Fast

4. SupercarGuru

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    A 2 valve Fuel Injected car that was JUNK just sold at Barret Jackson for 75. These cars are very very rare and are foregotten as a rare car.

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    QV stands for Quatrovalvolie(SP?) In other words 4 valves percylinder. Both carbed and injected cars had this. A carbed 4 valve Countach is the one to get IMHO..very fast and the sound is awsome!!

6. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    You got that right! That is my dream car. Maybe someday...

7. ralfabco

ralfabco F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixieland
    Full Name:
    Israel Beiteinu
    LP400 series 1 lowbody with the factory magnesium wheels. Another rare bird, that is the most impractical of the bunch. The car is approximately 40.5" tall and has 1" "less" headroom. The car is the best handling car of the entire bunch. Now someone is going to say the other cars have more power. You are correct. But.... They are also heavier. I am pretty sure they built approximately 42 cars this way. The car is the most badass factory Countach of the entire series. The car looks like it is on the ground.

.....searching searching searching. Alot of these went to Japan in the 80's.

8. Testacojones

Testacojones Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Terra
    The one for me would be a quattrovalvole carburated, those are the fastest of the Countach line, yes very rare and command a price, Jay Leno is got one.

9. Forzaholics Anonymous

Aug 23, 2004
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    Trying reeeeeaaal hard not to squeeze the trigger and buy a nice black QV with some left over 1031 monies. Of course, for me a nice pre '75 LP would not need to be smogged here in Calif so I could be tempted by one of those as well.

10. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Original LP 400 Persicopa with Walter Wolf fenders and spoilers, 12x15 rear wheels and Wolf rear wing. If possible, a 5.0 litre engine upgrade. Sweet!

11. rovingtravler

rovingtravler Karting

Feb 2, 2004
    Full Name:
    David
    Of course we have to get picky and include Euro and US models. I would go for a Euro spec Low body series 1 with the larger carbs or a QV Downdraft with a wing, and red tail light surrounds!

But this whole question is similar to saying which child do you love more or which playmate is better.... there is no right answer and there is no wrong answer

12. Go Mifune

Go Mifune Karting

Dec 12, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ummm..... Where did you get that info? The 2 valve injected cars are the slowest of the bunch. It was a valiant attempt at smogging the engine for US import by Trefor Thomas and Jas Rarewala, and in the end they had the power almost back to the (2V) carbed cars if set up just right. Trefor recently wrote a long history of the whole episode. A 5000S 2-valve carb'd car will clearly outpull a 2v injected car.

The QV injected cars can certainly be made to run hard, but the US engine suffers lower compression (9.0 / 1 vs 9.5 / 1) ex. manifolds instead of headers, much less radical cams, different ig. timing, a large throttle body injection setup, and a 2 pipe cat exhaust setup. Some of this can be changed and tweaked easily, some of it would be damn expensive.

Not that I am biased (since I have one) but the QV downdraft carb'd cars are the most powerful, easiest to work on, and actually fairly rare. Many more US injected QV's were built than carb'd QV's, but the exact number is debated. They are very rare in the US, though there are probably about 35-40 of them here. The old urban legend of there only having been 12 that came in is completely false.

Also - the euro cars tended not to have the sideskirts and of course didn't have the zip-code sized bumpers (though they're easily removable).

Ciao!!

In hydrocarbons we trust..........

13. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    lucky you!

14. ralfabco

ralfabco F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixieland
    Full Name:
    Israel Beiteinu
    Steve:

It is time to land and cool your jets. Is'nt it time to upgrade ?

15. alan

alan Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Alan
    you seem to have missed the best countach out of the vote!!!
    whats wrong with the Lp500s, that the car for me!! although the 5000 quattrovalvole is basically equal to it in my dream garage.

16. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Cannonball Run version, i think being the 5000 qv, Its the beast and by far the nicest looking of the lot. White or red for me thanks!!

17. SupercarGuru

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    That car was a 2 valve car

18. ralfabco

ralfabco F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixieland
    Full Name:
    Israel Beiteinu
    Cannonball run car.

It is a black 1980 car !!

LP400S

19. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Afriend of mine has an 85 carbed QV,I have an 86 Injected QV. I think he'd be interested in selling but the car is in Buenos Aires. Its dark blue over cream w wing

20. shmark

shmark Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Low-body 400S. I think the wings and spoilers just make the look and the early 400S's are just the meanest looking of them all. The later 5000S looks like a 4x4 in comparison. Practical, no. But definitely the one I want.

Mark

21. Dan Osib

Dan Osib Karting

Sep 21, 2004
    Peterborough
    Full Name:
    Daniel Osib
    I'm completely stumped. They are all equally awesome in their own way.

22. jimangle

jimangle Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Personally I think a wingless, bumperless, but with fender flares, carbed QV would be the best looking, and most fun to drive countach. I saw a white one when I was 13 and it sounded like an F1 car. Just a raw ass machine, that kicks azz and takes names.

23. chevalcabre

chevalcabre Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    euro spec? or usa legal ? how mucho ? i can use either specs...

24. chevalcabre

chevalcabre Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    i sold a car to zr last month....90' anniv with 1028 kms...new car out of a collection...one of the last cars to leave the line..guess what ????? 1990 carburated version factory ordered...euro spec for gulf country...not available anyhwere else..one of the only carb 25th anniv..... he has the rarest most desired car lambo could offer in a countach ! red/tan red piping...1k ! new car...priced right too....

25. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    A bit OT here:
    I saw ads of many QV and the 25th on several Japanese magazines and they are basically the same price, some QV even priced a bit over 25th. Is this normal? Or is it a Japan only occurence?

Also a 95 Diablo SE30 Jota is priced exactly as a 99 Diablo SV. I thought factory Jotas are rare (??)