test drove gallardo | LamborghiniChat
News

test drove gallardo

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rabeeh, May 9, 2004.

1. Rabeeh

Rabeeh Guest

Apr 23, 2004
    WPB
    its not vastly differnt than the murcielago. the giggest difference was in sound to me plus the egear setup. its very powerful, i think in a couple of years when the cars depreciate a little it will be an excellent car to buy. but i think the glass cover is a must. silver and orange look best on the car i think. i really think lamborghini is going to take the murcielago in a differnt direction seeing as how the gallardo is so clsoe in performance and looks from the front from afar for such a cheaper price.

2. tubeguy

tubeguy Karting

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal

I don't know if the glass cover is a must as the black engine does not show as vivid as a 360 F-car. Frankly I could go either way, and dig the louvers.

So what say you about depreciation? Similar to the Murcielago?

At the dealer they had a Murcielago that just came in on trade towards the Gallardo. Interesting. But I feel the same way that dude does...I like small cars.

I am considering one now...orange. I like the yellow too...but have too many bees near my house...drives them crazy and the car gets covered with bugs.

Hope the orange does not have the same effect! I think orange stands out a bit...so I am up for some fun. It is a riot. Nice car. So wait a year or two? For how much?

First year bugs? How many were shipped in Europe prior to sending them to the states? Not many I think.

3. Rabeeh

Rabeeh Guest

Apr 23, 2004
    WPB
    orange with black interior and glass cover imho is the BEST choice and egear

4. kverges

kverges Karting

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Boy I don't get the glass cover thing. The head and throttle body castings collect water and oxidize funny. Water drops collect on the polished part of the cam covers and makes them look a littel dull and detailing the engine to look good under glass is a major PITA. I also think it copies Ferrari too much and finally it eliminates the louvers that are functional and do extract engine heat.

Poseur option IMO for the person who wants that last bit of showmanship at the expense of practicality.

Then again, I drive mine rain or shine and get it dirty and stuff like that. Oh, I also bought a 6-speed so no way is anyone every gonna want my poorly optioned car. But I do have the freakin luggage!

5. 911Fan

911Fan Karting

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    "Boy I don't get the glass cover thing. The head and throttle body castings collect water and oxidize funny. Water drops collect on the polished part of the cam covers and makes them look a littel dull and detailing the engine to look good under glass is a major PITA. I also think it copies Ferrari too much and finally it eliminates the louvers that are functional and do extract engine heat."

Nice to get opinions from an actual owner!

Is any of the external hardware rusting? Some early Gallardos I saw had this problem (eg, rusting screws on the rear ventilation grates).

6. Clax

Clax Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2002
    Uh, ya it is. Not sure how you drove each car, or under what conditions, but they are quite different.

7. mhh

mhh Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Don't know that I'd ever use it, but I'd love the luggage for mine. Something neat about the concept.

8. Rabeeh

Rabeeh Guest

Apr 23, 2004
    WPB
    well i kinda own a murcielago and the gallardo test driven was that of my next door neighbor

9. 6.0 se

6.0 se Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    I have to ask you a question.Why would you need to wait until the car depreciates in a couple of years?If the performance is,in your opinion,the same as a Murci,at 70-100k less,why wait?And I guess if you only see it coming from the front,it has similarity,sort of.But the rest of the car has little in common.JMHO

10. alanhenson

alanhenson Rookie

Dec 2, 2003
    I drove one and found it quite uninspiring. The exhaust sound sucks and the rear is awfull, but the performance shows great numbers.

11. G-force

G-force Formula 3

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    #11 G-force, May 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The aftermarket peolple ..some have just released muffs and catbacks tUBI WILL BE IN A FEW WEEKS. In my opinion the stock exhaust sounds MUCH
    better than say a 360. How could anyone be unispired?
    Did you push the car or just cruise??

Looks of course are subjective....But I'm liking it more everyday...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2002
    for you Lambo owners, (Gallardo). Recently when I was at Norwood's in Dallas, I saw a short exhaust system, looked ceramic coated, sitting on a purpose built display. I asked James what it was. He told me he's begun building this custom exhaust for the Gallardo. He said it vastly improved the exhaust note. It looked vicious. Has anyone bought one?

13. G-force

G-force Formula 3

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    Any idea who's producing it? I am looking for exhaust upgrade and reviewing a few.

14. Napolis

Napolis Formula 3
    Honorary

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Wayne
    What's up? Will you be able to run the Silverstate?
    Best

15. lotustt

lotustt Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM

What do you mean you "kinda" own a murci? What is kinda? ARe you sharing it?

16. Rabeeh

Rabeeh Guest

Apr 23, 2004
    WPB
    hear we go with the dumb remarks, well since i already bought a murcielago there really isnt a need for me to buy a gallardo seeing as how i am wating to take delivery of my carrera GT! AND yes the cars are very similar. im actually going to get rid of the murcielago when the carrea gt comes, becasue the lambo just isnt measuring up to my supercar expectations.

17. 6.0 se

6.0 se Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    LOL.Then what was your point in waiting for prices to come down,and then the G car would be a good buy?Im just trying to understand what you are trying to say.And they really arent similar.You must have missed something here.The G is a great car,but come on .........The overall look,the interior,the OVERALL performance.Its a 12 cylinder papa bull.SEE BELOW.And I think the P car might work better for you.Good choice.
    PAPA Murcielago .... Gallardo

18. MurcieMurcie

MurcieMurcie Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    I think someone is living on Fantasy Island;):D

19. G-force

G-force Formula 3

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    Agree ...and it is not quite the fantasy island he expected...

20. Clax

Clax Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2002
    That's interesting. I passed up a CGT due for August 2004 delivery to buy a Murcielago. For $440K, I expect a car that looks unlike any other in the world, not a Boxster/911 on steroids. I envisioned myself driving the CGT and having people say, "hey is that they new Boxster?" And, I have heard from reliable sources that the next generation Boxster will have styling derived from the CGT. I'm sure the CGT owners will be thrilled about that.

21. Clax

Clax Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2002
    Wait a minute, is that Tatoo I see? With Ricardo Montalban? Da plaaaaane! Da plaaaaaane!

22. kverges

kverges Karting

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I put the exhaust James Patterson built on my car - he was incredibly gracious and helped me and let me try it for free! Sounded AWESOME, but had a major resonance at 2500 rpm and I Daily drive my car, often with my wife or a guest in the pass seat and it was just too much. He plans to work one a more muted version.

The fit, finish and craftsmanship was great and it is much lighter in weight than stock. You would have to be the judge on your car and I did love the aggressive note at all rpms.

And yes, some of the rear fasteners for the grates are rusting. I plan to replace them with stainless. Water collects in the honeycomb and cuases a bit of rust.

23. scycle2020

scycle2020 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    good choice clax, i am sure a cgt will be fun to drive and is a cool car...but there are way too many p cars out there for it to have any similaritys..esp for 440k!!!!!plus you have extra cash for another exotic car, boat, small plane, mistress, etc!!!!!

24. Clax

Clax Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2002
    Yes, those mistresses are expensive, aren't they? ;)

25. 6.0 se

6.0 se Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Damn good idea!!I'll vote for the mistress!!