Countach - Parking? | LamborghiniChat
News

Countach Parking?

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Supercars' started by JohnMH, Sep 26, 2019.

1. JohnMH

JohnMH Karting

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi fellow Countach owners. A simple question, how did you learn to park your Countach well?

I know and use the VB open door method. (Have even done it with VB in the car). I also understand that the car can gently move on flat ground at idle with the clutch out, without using any throttle. But lack of visibility of the car’s corners when maneuvering in tight confines terrifies me. Although I have been driving Countach examples for more than a decade, my drives are too infrequent to get much practice and the idea of practicing parking in one next to walls, cars and garage doors seems like it is courting fate.

FWIW, I drive other cars with similar external dimensions (TR, BB) and find them easy. It is just a Countach thing?

Quinn Williams likes this.
  2. joe sackey

joe sackey Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    By using it often in normal situations, as they say with all things that require a bit of skill, practice makes perfect.

I find the Countach easy to drive & park, of course parking requires a bit of patience and you can't be rushed, but it can be enjoyable & satisfying when you make a nice job of it.

3. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Easiest car to see out of with the VB method.. in the garage I have mirrors so I can see all around, but practice makes perfect.

4. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    I actually have all 3 mirrors set where as I can see and understand what is around me using just those 3 mirrors. That's just many years of experience, I suppose.
    Occasionally but rarely, I hop up on the sill and do it but that sometimes that can be a PITA too. Is that what VB stands for?

That, also, is easier when you are taller than most. Shorter people worry about their shoe slipping of the clutch pedal resulting in stalling or hitting something.

5. JohnMH

JohnMH Karting

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai, UAE
    I am 6’4” and I still worry about my foot slipping off the clutch while sitting on the sill. The idea of putting a few strategic mirrors around your garage is a good one.

So, how do I park a Countach in front of Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice...

6. topcarbon

topcarbon Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2006
    Scottsdale Arizona/ Mexico
    Full Name:
    jason
    I can't park without sitting on the sill.
    practice practice practice

7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    If you're balanced comfortably on the sill that shouldn't happen.

If I have even the slightest visibility doubt when reversing, I hop on the sill, it's cheap insurance.

In some situations you don't need to, but majority of the time you do.

8. Booker

Booker Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Global Moderator Moderator Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
  9. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 Formula Junior

May 14, 2017
    #9 Rossocorsa1, Sep 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Not going to lie - I don't see myself employing the "sill" backup technique. Call me crazy, but I'm never going to risk the chance that my feet will slip on the pedals and cause my car to go out of control, even for just a moment. Also, I won't be using my Countach in a utilitarian way, so I anticipate I'll always have a guide to assist me on the occasions it's needed. Nah, I'll stick to the same way I've always backed up my cars, even if it isn't as sexy looking.

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Rest assured that won't happen once you learn it, and if you can drive a manual gearbox car and are only moderately fit you can do it easily, it looks much harder than it actually is

11. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula Junior
    Giallo Subscribed

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    I reverse my cars like the "Valle"-way. Very easy to control and you have a great overview. Even on Aventadors, which has a camera, i do it that way! On Lamborghini meetings, the most drivers of newer Lamborghinis don´t even know that parking procedure. I like to show, even with my "young" age, the old typical way.

Ciro Izzo likes this.
  12. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 Formula Junior

May 14, 2017
    #12 Rossocorsa1, Oct 1, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    I’m sure I’ll hear some consternation over this comment, but I also have no desire to routinely put pressure on the sill, the leather, the seam, etc. that can’t be a good thing to do over and over. No doubt, I’m a bit OCD with my cars, but that seems like needless wear and tear on an area not designed to constantly take weight. I’m sticking to the seat.

13. EarlyCat

EarlyCat Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 9, 2005
    Shot gun shack in another part of the world
    Full Name:
    Marty Bryde
    I did the maneuver yesterday. It works well, except you have to be careful with your feet on the pedals. Typically I reverse using just my mirrors. I added a little convex mirror, hardly noticeable, which helps rear visibility. There is a huge blindspot near your right rear quarter panel. A car can be right there without your knowledge. When in doubt I will give the throttle a quick jab to make sure before I turn right.

Ciro Izzo and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  14. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    I can not believe I asked what VB stood for in the VB method when talking about sill riding :eek:

Anyway...
    As I mentioned, I don't need to use it often but it is of great use when backing the car and getting it tight in the corner of its bedroom.

15. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula Junior
    Giallo Subscribed

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    I do a lot care of my cars. But it´s still a car and i have fun to use it the "right" way. But everybody as he prefer...

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Totally understand, and again each to their own.

As regards the sill, if you use it the right way it'll remain unmarked for many years, and, remember, both the driver and passenger sills will have unavoidable contact all of the car's life if the car is t be used at all.

I really do belive that you can use a car frequently but also have it remain fairly pristine, my own car is such an example, it all depends on the owner.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  17. ElvisNasty

ElvisNasty Karting

Dec 13, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Elvis Jenkins Nasty
    The crowd loves to watch when you open that scissor door, pop your head out, and back in a Countach. It's pretty easy to do but people will stare intently.

18. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    It’s easy.. and the only way to guarantee not to hit anything! The gentleman pictured above is all the way back. If you are shorter or worried about your feet slipping then sit more forward on the sill. As far as the fiberglass “sill” structure, believe me you can’t weigh enough to damage it and still be able to physically fit in a countach. The leather in these cars seems pretty resilient also, so unless you have something sharp or metal I have never seen this cause scratches.

joe sackey likes this.
  19. white out

white out Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2010
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Nick
    With the wing I found it to be incredibly easy to see the exact rear of the car via mirrors.

EarlyCat likes this.