MIURA Price? | LamborghiniChat
News

MIURA Price?

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Discussion (not model specific)' started by PatrickShim, Dec 19, 2004.

1. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Rookie

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
  2. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian

SVs 400-500

S' 175-225

p400 120-150

Those prices are somewhat accurate, but when it comes to Miura's it depends on history...I know more about SVs then the other markets but many feel that the SV market will climb higher than it already has.

-jt

3. SupercarGuru

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Also...

The QV500 article does not include important factors in the SV market, like Split Sump, US Versione or "Factory Air" cars.

4. alberto

alberto Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Having purchased a Miura about 5 months ago, I agree with the valuation from AllOutExotics. My observation was that the P400 and P400S ranges presented are probably wider by about $10K in each direction. The low end of the SV valuation seems a tad high to me, but not by too much and in any case, the market is approach that floor at an alarming rate.

Although a bit selfish on my part, with SV prices seeming knowing no end, I am hopeful that the gap from the 400 and S to the SV's will narrow. I've never driven an SV, but I cannot imagine that the difference in handling, etc. is worth the 2 or 3 times higher price of a 400 or S.

5. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I've seen 3 Late S's sell between 130 and 150 this year, and an early S sold for 145 at auction in August.

The recent price trends have been nice for those of us holding cars. Only thing is - 600+ Miuras built is a fair number of cars. I wonder if these upward trends will continue, with this large number of cars available?

6. alberto

alberto Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I saw that early S that sold in August. A yellow one owned at the time by Jim Spirro of New Orleans (I know 'cause I tried to buy it from him; I also chased that car when it was owned by the owner prior to Jim, a guy in Toronto).

In any case, I don't think that 600 cars is all that many cars. How many of those cars still exist, 400-500? How many of those are basket cases, cars that still exist, but which have been neglected completely, somehow damaged and not repaired, in pieces, etc. in general cars that you can't make into decent cars without pouring in $50,000 or $70,000 just to make them whole (I mean cars that need that much just so that you can drive them again, not restoration candidates) and that leaves what, 300-400 cars maybe. Plus, if you are choosy, say you only want a 400 or only an S or only and SV, then the universe quickly shrinks. Say you want a 400 or an S, well that's going to be what, 200-300 cars maybe. If you want an SV there are maybe 100 cars. Then, if you want something pretty decent (and I just went through this), of the 200-300 P400 or S's there's maybe 100-150 decent cars, of which 3 are for sale at any given time? All of a sudden the universe is pretty small. Maybe my math/logic is off base, but I don't see there being that many cars. If we were talking Ferrari 360's (I just read they made 10,000!! of them) that would be another story.

I'm just glad I got mine when I did. If the market goes up, great, I'll keep mine. If it goes down, great, maybe I can trade for an S or SV.

Alberto

7. SupercarGuru

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Alberto,

Your last post was correct! My family had exotic car dealers up north from the 1960s -1970s. My dad says back then he knew of 5 Miura SVs alone that had been wrecked that he bought parts from! Not many complete cars exist! I think the market for S model cars will raise. Thus bringing the P400 cars up with it. Another important thing... Which i am more familiar with SV's is all the rarities of each serial number. These rarities create a "niche" for the certain type cars. Factory Air cars are worth alot more, Split Sump cars are worth alot more...I have seen Japanese buyers pay huge amounts over market value for these rare cars. The factory also had cars that had different louvers and special interiors. I know of a Auto Show Car that had a special colored painted suspension! To stand out from other cars. I do not think enough of this is documented yet....Even the Miura book by Coltrin and Marchet**SP is not accurate. Even the factorys original files are not accurate. As time goes on and these cars are better accounted for...their values will go up! Have you ever noticed how even Ferrari guys respect Miuras?

-jt

8. alberto

alberto Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    JT:

To your last point, I took my Miura to the Coronado historics this year. I had signed up for the Ferrari Corral (they have a tent with chairs, drinks, etc.). It was the first public event that I was taking the car to, so I did not know what to expect. When I got there, I went to park next to all of the Ferraris. A guy started waving at me and I thought "oh brother, here we go, they don't want the Lamborghini parked in the Ferrari corral". Boy was I wrong. He wanted me to park at a prime time spot next to the tent, in a more protected area. Before my wife and I could get out of the car, there were people 2 deep to look at the car. Most (not all) of the Ferrari guys came over to talk about and look at the car. It was only when an Enzo showed up a few hours later that the stream of people looking at the Miura slowed down, but even then it held its own. They seemed to really enjoy having the car there, to the point that they included a picture of the Lamborghini in the Ferrari Club magazine about the event. Amazing. Good thing I washed and waxed it before taking it there!

Alberto

9. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    I'm not surprised. Your Miura is beautiful!

10. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    The Miuras are definately the "Crossover cars" in the Ferrari crowd - Alberto, I'm glad to hear that you got such a great reception at your show for your beautiful car.

I bought mine with the thought that prices were on the rise, so I hope that's what happens. It's still a relative unknown (surprisingly) in the car collector world, compared to it's impact on the automotive industry when it was introduced.

I guess I'm alone in the production totals - I still think that 300+ remaining cars is a lot of cars, but that's the Ferrari guy in me talking! The good news for Miura fans is that these price upticks have brought a few more cars to light.