Learning about Lambo's | LamborghiniChat
News

Learning about Lambo's

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Discussion (not model specific)' started by Argento, Jun 2, 2006.

1. OK - I am a complete Ferrari Nut, Snap me in half and it says Ferrari through my core....But of late I have een more and more....How can I put this ???
    Curious about Lamborghini's, I catch myself looking through the classifieds just in case one might be for sale near by...

So where do I go to look for information about Lambo's....Not sure if this is sterotypicla or not, but F car owners say they are more delicate and less reliable than F Cars? Even a good Italian Car technician I know says the same, but I'm still intrigued, I guess the Scissor doors, the V12 rear engine, the Name and the rarity have got my sense of investigation going.

Can you guys help ?

ATB,

Argento

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Is this even possible? :D

Gawk factor is there on every Lamborghini...with Ferrari there are and have been models that are, so to speak, ho-hum. Whereas Ferraris look to be at home in the driveway of country clubs, Lambos, IMHO, look at home in front of bars that have a mechanical bull somewhere on the premesis.

4. So true!!!!!!!!

5. The Registry is also a good source for background info about each car. See http://www.lamborghiniregistry.com/

The print books leave something to be desired. Dron's book on the Countach is pretty good, as is the Catalog Raisonne. But, some of the coffee table books contain egregious errors.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Welcome to the Dark Side

8. It is true.....search your soul...you know it be true. :)

9. I just joined the darkside... no turning back now.

10. To remove this ad click here.

11. Doug,

Thanks, this is indeed a very good website. I was hoping I could afford a Murcielago, however, having done some research I guess they are out of my reach at present, I could scrape together enough for a 6.0 VT Diablo instead though. I wonder if any you guys have one, or could give me some idea on what these things are like to drive, live with, service etc....?

Still don't understand the basic difference between earlier VT's and SV's ?

Colours seem to be massively different to Ferrari's acceptable color schemes...Bright Orange, Lime Green, Lurid Violet....I'm a bit more conservative I guess, I do like Yellow, But Electric Blue is lovely, I don't mind Titanium and Black, (although a bit dull). Any advice welcome...

Regards,

Argento

12. Basic difference is VT's are All Wheel Drive, SV's Two Wheel Drive and have about 40 more HP.

13. #12 whart, Jun 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The 6.0 presents the following attractions- less rational body design than the Murcie, and more Italianate- the interior, in its entirety, is one of the best in the business, and makes the Murcie look like a fleet car inside (sorry); the dog leg first makes for a slower launch, but the car is not about 0-60 times; the steering is wonderful, heavy, no artificial detachment of overassist, just the right size wheel; great forward visibility; somewhat tight passenger accomodation, the driver's side is roomier; the pedal box and general position of the driver is more neutral than the earlier cars; the drivetrain is bulletproof as long as you are gentle with the clutch; the only weak point is the shock-absorber system which (correct me if wrong) is not much improved on the Murcie- the shocks fail, they are proprietary to Lambo/Koni and cost a fortune to replace. Some claims to have rebuilt them, and others, to replace them with more conventional shocks which are repairable or replaceable at modest cost.
    6.0 has a strong following as perhaps the 'best' overall Diablo- it benefits from the running improvements and Audi ownership in reaching the pinnacle for what is an older design.
    As to practicality, neither Murcie nor 6.0 would make much sense as a regular driver. So, as a recreational car, you then need to decide what appeals to you- the best 6.0's are in used Murcie territory these days. Also, as a rule of thumb, just with Ferrari, buying a 'bargain' will prove to be no bargain- the cost of parts is even more ridiculous in some cases than ferrari and fewer people know how to work on them. So, buying a car with needs will probably not save you, but cost you, in the long run.
    THe 6.0 is the first Lambo I have owned after a succession of Ferraris. It is a fabulous car, ultra exotic, very powerful, feels very old school in some ways (more like my old BBi than any other Ferrari I've had). It is, however, like the Murcie, a big heavy GT car- you never really forget its massiveness- it is not tossable and it is not a track car, in my estimation. It is just too big, too heavy. But, for the high speed run, and even for the twisties (you'd be pretty suprised at how well it handles despite its bulk), it is a special car, and the experience probably cannot be duplicated except with even more exotic,even more pricey alternatives.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. #13 slm, Jun 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bill, great wright up on the 6.0. I have to say, Bill has one of the best 6.0s out there. His car was at MCI when I got my previous Testarossa. If he hadn't already snached it up I'm sure I would have it now. IMHO, rosso vic is the nicest color Lambo has. However, the SVs are a nice compromise. I love mine. The car is quite a bit lighter and the real wheel drive gets the power down nicely, but one has to be careful. My car feels very "tossable" and the power-to-wieght ratio is great. The accelaration is mind boggling. The car larger and is quite wide (wider mirror to mirror than my wife's Mercedes R500), but at speed feels much smaller than its bulk.

The maintanance issues on these cars are not insignificant as Bill has pointed out. I agree that one is better off getting a well sorted car, rather than a " fixxer-upper." Even with a very good car there are issues that crop up. I think this holds true for both Ferrari and Lamborghini. They are more like race cars (engines tuned to higher horsepower, etc.) than the family sedan that one would expect to get 100K trouble free miles. The shocks are problematic as are electrical problems, but a well cared for car can be a joy to own.

Hope this helps. Argento, come on over to the dark side!!!

Steve

15. The Dark Side is the RIGHT side, no contest!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. I have noticed alot of current lambo owners used to be ferrari owners...(like me) interesting ;)

my conclusion.... Lambo > Ferrari

17. and those of us as well who have thought about our first supercar purchase have been jumping ship to the Dark Side...may the force be with you all!

18. so, for those who have owned/driven a 6.0 and a SV, which one do you like better?

also, I would suspect that the clutch is alittle easier on the 6.0 becuase its audi, right?

19. Bill,

That's a great insight, It seems we have shared similar passions, although I'm an MV Agusta kinda guy, Your 550 Barchetta looked as though it was Nero, What was it's number XXX/448 ?

You Diablo looks like the Muts Nuts, I love that colour, Never seen it before on a Lambo, Lovely looking machine - I would be glad to find one in that colour combo and condition....

Guys, thanks for all your help, Please keep the info coming, I'm soaking up all I can get before I take the plunge. At present Suspaension is worrying me as is the cost of servicing these beasts?

Argento

20. Arg: It was #66 and was the car featured in the January 2002 issue of R & T (and the Forza issue later that spring). Yes, it was black (not the metallic). Nice car, lack of roof was a real drag for me, since I tend to drive these cars.
    I wouldn't 'worry' about the suspension, since if it was really a huge pain, you'd just replace all the shocks with more conventional ones- Wil de Groot has also succeeded in installing an aftermarket shock/lift system in the front if you still want that functionality. In other respects, the car (knock wood) seems to be virtually bulletproof, and still reminds of a time when mid-engine 12s ruled the planet.
    It is also beautiful to look at in the flesh- I used to think Diablos were disproportionate - too short in front- but all the action is in the swoop of that line, which, to my eye, still looks very clean. The Countach, which started it, looks dated (except for the original lp 400 which is timeless) but the looks of the 6.0 are truly exotic, and its got the muscle to back it up.