Gallardo Warranty? | LamborghiniChat
News

Gallardo Warranty?

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Discussion (not model specific)' started by noahlh, Aug 27, 2004.

1. noahlh

noahlh Karting

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Don't have my owner's manual in front of me right now, but a quick question:

Anyone know the details of the Gallardo warranty? I recall being told it's 2y/24,000, but I was just reading the August '04 Motor Trend in which they list both the "Basic Warranty" and the "Powertrain Warranty" as 2 years / unlimited miles.

My dealer didn't know the answer off the top of his head ... anyone know for sure?

nlh

2. mhh

mhh Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It might depend where you live. Here in Australia, it is 24 months unlimited.

3. tfazio

tfazio Rookie

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    On MSN Carpoint it says warranty is 24 month/ 24,000 Mile Warranty. MHH might be right that the warranty varies by location. Usually though the U.S. has the best warranties.

4. 911Fan

911Fan Karting

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    Maybe it's obvious but I think warranty is a good predictor of reliability. It's interesting to compare Porsche vs Ferrari vs Lambo...

5. noahlh

noahlh Karting

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Anyone have a definitive answer on the US Warranty? My dealer didn't call me back....

With all the Gallardo owners on here, someone's gotta know...

nlh

6. mhh

mhh Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark

Not always. Sometimes offering a long warranty is a way to get a brand moving when no-one is buying it.

7. JimmyJ

JimmyJ Karting

Jul 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Roy James
    Take DCX and BMW. DCX offers the 7yr/60Kmile warranty on all their cars except for MB, and BMW is offering full service on EVERYTHING (including normal wear and tear items) for 4yr/50K. They know their cars will last and added these warranties because they aren't that worried about their products...BMW just takes it a step further

8. scycle2020

scycle2020 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    there really is no correlation...kia currently has a 7 year/100k warrenty and toyota is 3years/36k miles...which brand do you think has a better reliablity rating?

9. scycle2020

scycle2020 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    whats dcx? no current seller of cars in the us offers 7yr/60k warranties

10. bentasm1

bentasm1 Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    DCX is the stock ticker for DaimlerChrysler.

Many sellers of many cars include a 10 year warranty on the powertrain or other limited features.

I like the post by the guy stating that "They know their cars will last and added these warranties because they aren't that worried about their products...". I'm in the underwriting and warranty business for automobiles. BMW/DCX doesn't stand by their product so much that they just magically offer these warranties.

They BUY the policy on every car sold through an underwriter to remain nameless. You pay for it when you buy your car. The only factory underwritten 'extended' warranty is from GM through their GMPP division, which even then still has a reinsurance provider that they pay.

So next time you think that these extra warranties mean they sell a good product, it's a load of BS since you pay for the extra 'peace of mind'. :) It's *all* marketing. Take it from me, the true source of this information.

-Ben
    (President of an underwriting firm that represents automobile service contracts)

11. bentasm1

bentasm1 Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    Oh one more quick thing -- The US Government requires any automobile that is sold new to come with a mandatory 2 year or 24,000 mile warranty, whichever comes first.

Lamborghini Warranty, is 2 years or unlimited miles in 2 years. (Thus a flat 2 year warranty regardless of mileage).

A little warranty trivia:

The LONGEST factory bumper-to-bumper warranty is from Hyundai and Kia, both at 5 years / 60,000 miles.

The SHORTEST factory warranty is for "Morgan" automobiles (primarily in the UK), which is 2 years or 12,000 miles. (Note 12k, not 24k, since they arent in the USA, the 2yr/24k rule doesn't apply).

Most exotics are 2year/unlimited miles, no manufacturer has opted for 24k as their miles clause.

Maybach (Super-luxury mercedes) has a 4 year / unlimited miles warranty.

Rolls-Royce goes for 4 years or 100,000 miles, new for 2004 and future models.

The LONGEST powertrain warranty is again Hyndai and Kia, which from a new purchase goes for 10 years or 100,000 miles. (See what I mean by the product doesn't have to be stood behind to be 'good'? :))

Oddly, Kia and Hyundai only offer 5 years on their corrosion warranty, whereas the LONGEST corrosion warranty is from Audi at 12 years unlimited miles, followed by Porsche at 10 years unlimited miles.

As for factory roadside assistance, which they buy and include in the cost of your new vehicle, the LONGEST is from Isuzu at 7years/75,000 miles, and the 75k was only because they wanted to offer the most roadside assistance for a new marketing campaign, and since Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep all offered 7 years or 70,000 miles, they added the 5000 miles to the Isuzu plan to make it sound like you got more for your money.

That's tonights episode of warranty trivia. :)

-Ben

12. 6.0 se

6.0 se Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Great post Ben!!

13. bentasm1

bentasm1 Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    and I didnt steal your thunder AJ. :)

14. Michael RPM

Michael RPM Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2002
    Oak Brook, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael Wogronic
    Just to clarify a few things, in the USA, both the Gallardo and Murcielago, have a two-year / 24,000 mile warranty.

Michael Wogronic
    Lamborghini Chicago