Gallardo Test on Autoweek show on SpeedTV | LamborghiniChat
News

Gallardo Test on Autoweek show on SpeedTV

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Discussion (not model specific)' started by 4i2fly, May 18, 2004.

1. 4i2fly

4i2fly Rookie

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Did anyone see the first 5 minutes of Autoweek show on TV this week. They were testing a Gallardo while they raved about the car being a poser the numbers didn't look that good:

0-60 MPH in 4.57s
    1/4 mile in over 13s
    Slalom speed a tad over 46MPH

What the hell was that, I expect a much faster car with 500 HP. His conclusion: the Gallardo is perfect for two things only:
    1. to look good in
    2. to drive on your own private road course.

So much for a 360 beater!

Cheers,
    Matt

P.S. there are couple of more showings of the same program again this week.

2. ryalex

ryalex Formula Junior
    Consultant

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Surely this is a typo? 64?

I'd hope so!

3. 4i2fly

4i2fly Rookie

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    It could have been a mistake by announcer. I have it on tape and listened to it a few times, not a typo.

4. ebrigham

ebrigham Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    I watched it too. All the numbers sounded pretty low - AW cited quirky E-gear. In one of the shots, I think they showed the Gallardo stalling out when they tried a 0 - 60, 1/4 mile run. Something seems off...

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Lambo lemon making lemonade?

6. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    could it be the elevation of the track they tested?

7. 4i2fly

4i2fly Rookie

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Well, the numbers are reasonable except for the slolom. There must have been a reporting issue there. But what about his closing comments. The car perfect for two things only...to look good in and to drive on your own private road course! Granted they are subjective comments but these guys get paid to be as objective as possible.

8. b-mak

b-mak Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Star Alliance Lounge
    Correction. These guys do not get paid to be objective. They go on exotic and luxurious junkets paid for by manufacturers. These manufacturers will not invite a 'journalist' that writes or reports anything significantly negative about their product.

9. Burnout

Burnout Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    Exactly, well said.

If you want objective automotive media, you have to look across the pond to the British.

10. robiferretti

robiferretti Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    what was the 1/4 mile trap speed, i've raced a 260 ina gallardo and i guarantee it is a 360 beater

11. 6.0 se

6.0 se Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    I guess they need to learn to drive.Lets see,11 tests citing low 12's in the quarter,0-60 in the 4.2 range.HMMMMM.It would have been nice if the same experts that drove that car had tested another make,to see how bad it might have been.Altitude,weather,temp,drivers,not sure.How do you think the 360 would have fared with the same conditions and drivers?Now if I had seen those results over and over and over,with different conditions and drivers,I might lend it an ear.

12. 4i2fly

4i2fly Rookie

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Trap speed at the drag strip was a tad over 111 Mph.

13. 4i2fly

4i2fly Rookie

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    This is Lambo money piss poor spent on media coverage that says the car is only good for two things, sorry "perfect" for two thing to look good in and to drive on your own private road course.

14. Burnout

Burnout Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    Who said Lambo spent money on it?

It wouldn't suprise me if these same Autoweek people are covering the USGP in a months time, with some perks courtesy of a certain team in red.

15. 4i2fly

4i2fly Rookie

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I have an e-mail to Mark Vaughn the editor of that segment, I will post his reply as soon as I get it.

16. Alxlee

Alxlee Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    I haven't seen the show yet, but if I recall correctly, didn't the magazine itself rave over the car in an article not too long ago?

17. netviper

netviper Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The gallardo should have no trouble with a 360. I think it traps about 8 MPH faster in the 1/4.

18. Clax

Clax Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2002
    I just test drove a Gallardo as Mosport Raceway in Toronto (American Le Mans Road Course) and I can say that those numbers are crap. Besides, shouldn't Autoweek be focusing on testing the latest Minivans and Sub-Compacts and leave the real testing to Top Gear and publications that specialize in performance cars? Autoweek should be ashamed of themselves. That doesn't make the car look bad, it makes their driving skills look bad.

19. 4i2fly

4i2fly Rookie

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Tell us what you measured for 0-60, 1/4 mile lateral g, and slalom speed. The guys said specifically the car is perfect to drive in a road course so it appears you experienced the same!

20. b-mak

b-mak Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Star Alliance Lounge
    I agree, a number of these 'journalists' think they're Senna reincarnate, but I'd be surprised if they could drive their way out of a paper bag.

21. Clax

Clax Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2002
    I didn't have a measuring device for those stats. However, I have owned & driven plenty of sub 13-second 1/4 mile cars, and this car is for sure under 13 seconds. In a British auto publication, the Gallardo delivered an 11.7 quarter. Who is right?

22. 6.0 se

6.0 se Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Pulled this out of Road and Track,march 2004.Their numbers are a little different!!

"The Gallardo's dynamic exterior is well matched by its handsome cockpit, complete with a row of center-stack toggle switches.

Our test car came equipped with Lamborghini's "e-gear." It is the optional electrohydraulically actuated 6-speed manual gearbox. In the cockpit, the upshift paddle is on the right of the steering wheel, its downshift counterpart on the left. According to factory technical services, this much-improved F1-style transmission is the latest generation of the Magneti-Marelli Selespeed, the same type of paddle-shift system used by Ferrari, Alfa Romeo and Aston Martin.
    On the drag strip, launching the Gallardo from a standing start is easy. Put the e-gear into Sport mode. This changes the time required to swap gears from 0.22 second to 0.17. Turn off the traction/yaw control and take your foot off the brake pedal. With the car standing still, simply romp on the throttle until it hits the floor. Just before the car takes off, the engine rpm jump to near 3500 and the clutch engages immediately. The rear wheels spin and momentarily break traction. But soon after that, the all-wheel drive kicks in and shifts power to the front wheels.

Once all four tires grab the asphalt, the Gallardo explodes forward with a ferocious growl. The deep-throated rumble through the exhaust is accompanied by hisses from the thirsty V-10 gulping as much fresh air as possible through the air intakes just over your shoulders. Your eyes focus on the tach needle racing toward the 8100-rpm redline. Once there, a simple pull of the upshift paddle, and the galloping bull catches a second breath and continues to thrust forward with all its might. Zero to 60 mph takes only 4.0 sec. The quarter mile is reached in 12.3 sec. with the speedometer registering 117.4 mph. These numbers are quick enough to jump ahead of the Ferrari 360 Modena and leave its cross-town adversary in the rearview mirror"
    END QUOTE

These numbers are close to what Ive seen in major magazine tests,but what do they know?Probably at least they are used to testing these types of cars.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=1172&page_number=3&preview=

23. G-force

G-force Formula 3

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles

I haven't had a 360 problem ........(this is NOT Ferrari bashing..just the facts)

24. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    I concur, TV auto shows drivers can be really lame. I once worked for a couple episodes of some local TV show, the driver was just the journalist ... and he recorded acceleration times ... in a frickin curve!! The tests were over several days, so you guessed it, once it was 62, then it was 85 ... go figure why trap times were better the 85 day ...
    It was also funny to hear his true comments and the ones on TV ... about a Buick RendezVous, he'd say "barf, another GM pos" ... and then on air would just say "it's neat minivan" ... pfff. Whateva.
    American media is worthless. Only the pictures are good to watch.

25. Testacojones

Testacojones Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Terra
    I raced a Gallardo in my stock 996turbo and he was behind me the whole time, we started of the line and I got ahead then we went on the ramp into the highway and when we came out of it I waited for him to get next to me and then we hit it again, we were doing 65 mph when we started and I was ahead all the way to 130mph then I stopped and he was behind a few cars, I couldn't tell how far back he was during the race because he was in the far left lane and I was in the right lane, it was a black Gallardo. It is a fast car, the tv program I saw it is totally wrong, I know that much.