Gallardo Daily Driver? | LamborghiniChat
News

Gallardo Daily Driver?

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Discussion (not model specific)' started by indaville, Mar 5, 2006.

1. indaville

indaville Rookie
    Giallo Subscribed

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    Recently I have been thinking of getting a used Gallardo as a dialy driver. From the post that I have read about the car, it sounds like reliablity is up since Audi bought Lambo.

Is it realistic to drive a car like this everyday during the spring, summer, and fall? Also, if I were to buy say a 2004 model and drive it 5,000-10,000 miles per year, what maintenance would need to be done and can anyone guess how much money I would lose when I sold it?

Matt

2. mhh

mhh Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It makes a great daily driver, but I would always have another car as well. I find too much of a good thing makes it less special. Servicing is every 7500miles and it isn't much more than (say) a Benz. Impossible to know how much you will lose, but less than you would buying a new one.

3. Ecnal

Ecnal Karting

Jun 28, 2004
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Ecnal
    I'm not sure reliability was that bad, even before Audi. I put 8000+ on a Diablo in a year with virtually no problems.

I have a Gallardo that I have put 1000 miles on in three weeks. It is easier to drive than a Diablo, and I plan to drive it near daily.

4. indaville

indaville Rookie
    Giallo Subscribed

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    So they are fine in the rain? What if you get caught in the snow, should you just pull over and get it towed home??? I have heard that a Gallardo would cost less to maintain than a Ferrari 360? There are no dealers near me is that an issue? What type of warranty come with them when they are new?

Sorry for all the questions, I think that I have caught the lambo bug!

Thanks

5. CornellCars

CornellCars Rookie

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Matt, maintenance should be less than a 360 as there are no belts, but make sure you don't ride the clutch as that can easily make it catch up. Given that it's an awd car, even with sport tires (search for avalonsuperstars thread about his G car in the snow) it'll probably get you there, but I wouldn't imagine it would be fun. Snow tires, however (if you can find 'em) would probably make it perfectly safe for snow with the awd (again, not sure I'd recommend it). Warranty new is 2/24 if I'm not mistaken (if I am I'm sure someone will correct me:)). Having a dealer near you helps, but some aren't exactly fun to deal with anyway, so having a good independant that knows what he or she is doing is a must.

looks like you're only about 3 hours from Columbus, so I would figure if you needed warranty work you could have it sent there (isn't Nelson in Columbus?), and find a good indy locally for the regular stuff.

6. G-force

G-force Formula 3

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    i put 12000 miles first year just 1500 and 7500 mile services
    less `than $750 total spent.

7. Porscheboy16

Porscheboy16 Rookie

Jan 21, 2006
    Salisbury, MD
    Full Name:
    S. Keeton
    For snow, one member posted a long journey in his newly purchased burgundy Gallardo. If someone could find it, it would help you.

8. tfazio

tfazio Rookie

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    here's the link:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84023

The owner has since sold the Gallardo and gotten a murcielago.

9. noahlh

noahlh Karting

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Over the past two years my customers & I have a combined total of 47,000 miles on our three Gallardos (12.5k miles on #1 before it was totaled, 20.5k on #2 and still going strong, and 14k miles on #3 and the best one yet). They are driven all-day, every day.

In all that time, I can't think of a single "major" maint. issue that was related to mileage or regular use. We had some standard e-gear troubles with #1 & #2 (early clutch death, bad engagement), but #3 is at 15.5k total and still on the first e-gear clutch. #2 had a nasty wiring harness issue that was ultimately resolved, but again that was a problem with the original build not the car's overall stability. Only other things that come to mind are some carbon deposits and "gunk" build-up which is regular maint after 20k miles, and a bad coil early on with #1.

Otherwise, they've been extremely trouble- and hassle-free. Get it an enjoy!

nlh

10. jim g

jim g Karting

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    8300 miles on mine in 10 months, makes a great daily driver.

11. ghost

ghost Formula Junior
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Vik
    OT: Jim, saw you had an '04 M but now have an '05 G? Thoughts between the two. What caused the changeover?

12. desmomini

desmomini Karting

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    As far as snow is concerned, when it comes to cars you care about, it usually isn't the snow itself that is a problem so much as the corrosive effects of road salt for weeks afterwards. Given how much of a hit you take on depreciation as it is for a low mileage, pampered exotic, imagine how much more of a hit you'd get when a PPI reveals undercarriage rust.

13. jim g

jim g Karting

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    Sorry Vic I had an '04 Murcie this is my first Gallardo.

14. jim g

jim g Karting

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    Sorry vic, I have to read slower.. I hated my Murcie, it broke all of the time. You could review some of my old posts, but after a bunch of let downs I let her go with only 3700 miles on it.

15. Korr

Korr Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    Stew D Baker
    Gallardo is all aluminum.

16. ghost

ghost Formula Junior
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Vik
    Thanks. Disappointing that even three years after the initial model, Lambo can't get the M right. It's also surprising when considering how well built the G is.

17. desmomini

desmomini Karting

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Including the axles, suspension, etc.?

If there truly is nothing on the car that rusts, then go git 'em, Flexible Flyer!

18. F430xxx

F430xxx Karting

Jun 11, 2004

Jim can't imagine why you ha such a hard time with the Merci. Like all exotics they have their share of issues but can't seem to understand why the Gallardo is less mainenance than the Murci realizing of course the specs of both cars are completely different

David Kassir

19. Korr

Korr Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    Stew D Baker
    YEAH...because as we know, axles and suspension have a huge problem with rusting out! Go get em, numb nutz!

20. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Karting

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Well you couldnt of hated her that much to buy again from the same brand. Sad to hear u had problems when soo many have had little/no issues.

21. desmomini

desmomini Karting

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    You miss my point. Obvious signs of driving in the snow will limit the pool of eager second buyers for an exotic, thus adding to depreciation.

22. jim g

jim g Karting

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    I gave the Lambo brand another shot after alot of research. I don't have all the answers but my G is a much more reliable car, only one issue so far with fouled spark plugs. Remember though the G was engineered by Audi and the much of what makes the Murcie a Murcie has been around for more then a decade. My Murcie had issues with emissions, cat. convertor failure, e-gear failure, Cluth problems, and so on. Believe me if my spot on the Ferrari "list" came up I wouldn't have given Lambo. another shot. I am pleasantly surprised with the G's reliablity though.

23. RunningOfTheRings

Jan 5, 2006
    Chicago
    Thats why you lease.

24. mhh

mhh Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Leasing doesn't prevent the effects of depreciation though.