Early Diablo...any buying guide? | LamborghiniChat
News

Early Diablo...any buying guide?

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Discussion (not model specific)' started by amenasce, Apr 3, 2014.

1. amenasce

amenasce Formula 3

Oct 17, 2001
    Paris / Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew Menasce
    I sold my 911 and would like to get another sportscar maybe in 6mo or so and i have always loved the early diablos eventhough the dashboard is probably the ugliest thing made in Italy.

I usually see a few for sale at around $100k to $120k with mileage anywhere from 2k to 25k. That much i know. I dont know about maintenance however. So how reliable are they?
    How much should i budget for 5k to 10k miles a year (i'll probably do less since i wont drive it to work and have kid.)

-How much is a typical yearly service?
    -How much is a clutch job and how often is one needed?
    -Are the main service an engine out job? And how often are they needed?
    Im guessing tires are also a big money pit..
    -What are its weakness? The interior seems to hold on pretty well compared to the ferrari sticky mess. Or no?

If i go the Diablo way, i'll probably want an aft market exhaust. Which ones are popular with the Diablo?

I appreciate any and all input from you guys.

Thanks!

2. topcarbon

topcarbon Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2006
    Scottsdale Arizona/ Mexico
    Full Name:
    jason
    How much is a typical yearly service?
    one these are set right, the maintenance is oil change, fluid check
    -How much is a clutch job and how often is one needed?
    never if you know how to drive, but engine out is going to be $10,000+
    -Are the main service an engine out job?
    no
    And how often are they needed?
    if you need the chain tensioners done, engine out
    clutch, engine out
    tires last max 10 years and then need to be replaced
    -What are its weakness? The interior seems to hold on pretty well compared to the ferrari sticky mess. Or no?
    bullet proof car for the money as long as regular service is done.
    If i go the Diablo way, i'll probably want an aft market exhaust. Which ones are popular with the Diablo?
    tubi, quicksilver, larini

3. Mr Mezzanotte

Mr Mezzanotte Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2006
    UK
    WSM lists tire life as 4 years - which seems a little extreme, 6 years would seem more likely.

The standard sports exhaust is fairly loud, and you are never far away from the engine noise either if you are in the car.

4. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Rookie

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    GREAT CARS for the money....possibly the best bargain on the 20+ years old supercar world!
    the dash pod can be changed for the later VT ones, so not big deal
    ( i have one with instruments and all for sale)

-How much is a typical yearly service? badget usually 2000$ / year ....some years you will spend 4000/5000 and some could be much more
    -How much is a clutch job and how often is one needed? depends on the shop, in US probably 7000$??...i am not sure
    depend really on driving...carefull driving i think will last 40.000 miles and more, give it to someone that cannot drive it and will last 1 hour
    -Are the main service an engine out job? And how often are they needed?
    engine out is for clutch and big maintenance only
    not so much, still available at good prices
    pretty well
    weackness: clutch and differential a bit weack compared to the rest, but not really weack cars

i have ANSA SPORT SS with no cats
    many brands: Larini, MS RACING, KRIESSEG, etc
    i suggest to go for cat by pass ...absolutely a MUST on diablos...cats can fail and results could be catastrofic for debrids sometimes going into combustion chambers!

5. ralfabco

ralfabco F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixieland
    Full Name:
    Israel Beiteinu
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^

Check the clutch, clutch, and clutch. Service records with or without gaps, # of previous owners, and colors may alter the value. Wild colors are not detrimental with a Lamborghini - it is often the opposite of what is in-demand with F cars.

Make sure you like the shifter. The car has bulk and weight. Probably the best 200mph bargain Italian supercar available today. The manual steering is excellent.

Aftermarket mods ? Consider changing out the front brakes. Clutch $7,500-$15K. It depends on shop rates and if you want to perform preventative maintenance. The clutch will last if you protect it. Drive the car around town like a truck. Avoid heavy traffic and stop signs :D.

When stopped, make sure you move away around 1,000 to 1,500 rpms. No need to rev the engine to move from a stop. Avoid all burn outs.

PPI

John Petrovic likes this.
  6. Britzky9

Britzky9 Rookie

Apr 6, 2010
    Phila region
    Great stuff here! Been casually looking for a bit now myself. Looking for an early wing delete, unmolested, all original machine. I have no problem with the dash...it is what it is.

Anyone know anything about the John Scotti Diablos up for auction in May? I called Auctions of America and the could only tell me the KMs.

Auctions America - Collector Car Auctions John Scotti Collection&category=

7. topcarbon

topcarbon Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2006
    Full Name:
    jason
    the white Diablo is pictured with a VT emblem.
    wtf?
    must be the one and only on the planet early Diablo VT

8. Britzky9

Britzky9 Rookie

Apr 6, 2010
    Phila region
    Right? The red one does as well. I'm not all that fluent in Diablo, but I thought that was odd for '91 cars. The VT started in '94?

I hate auctions with a passion...and this is exactly why - no info, the auction house just wants to move the lot and on to the next.

9. vaholtorf

vaholtorf Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Victor Holtorf
    Yes, quite wierd. Other observations...both of these early Diablos in the auction have color-matched mirrors, which is incorrect. All early Diablos had a grey color on the external mirrors. The white one has an aftermarket exhaust. Both cars are missing the passenger compartment grab handle that should stick out of the dash in front of the passenger. Non-USA cars often didn't have this handle, but these look like USA cars with the side markets. I would definitely want answers to the aforementioned issues before I would pay a lot for the cars.

10. topcarbon

topcarbon Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2006
    Full Name:
    jason
    mirrors came with both grey and colored side mirrors

11. Britzky9

Britzky9 Rookie

Apr 6, 2010
    Phila region
    Good eye! I didn't even catch that. Thank you!

Would it matter if the previous owner was based in Canada?

12. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Karting

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have no affilatation nor seen this car in person, however it's a local (LA area) Diablo, it's been listed for few weeks now.
    If anyone's looking early Diablo, here it is.

1992 Lamborghini Diablo

13. LamboRider

LamboRider Karting

Feb 9, 2011
    This is the time to call on a Professional that knows these cars, their maintenance, and the market. I would call Roy Cats and ask your questions - he doesn't charge for that and loves these cars. He can also find you a correct Diablo and lead you away from buyers mistakes.

14. LNtoast

LNtoast Karting

Jul 11, 2013
    No affiliation but...
    On the East Coast, Interstate has three early Diablos for sale 1991 $114,900 and 1992 & 1993, both of these were $94,500 but are now "Please Call for Price." All three have wings.

15. Britzky9

Britzky9 Rookie

Apr 6, 2010
    Phila region
    The auction house representative just sent me a response saying "The car is not a VT. It only has VT badging."

I didn't even bother asking why...

16. Doug R

Doug R Karting

Oct 11, 2005
    VIN:ZA9DU07P3NLA12571

Anybody know this car? I have interest.

17. Andrew R.

Andrew R. Formula Junior
    Giallo Subscribed

Jun 27, 2005
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Get a PPI from a mechanic that TRULY knows Diablos, it will be worth every penny.

18. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Karting

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I realize the link is no longer valid on post # 12, but this is the same car, which was advertised on the local Craigslist.

19. mrp_e

mrp_e Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    NYC, BRK, PlmSprngs
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #19 mrp_e, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    previous fchatter owner had george evans but a beautifully made stainless quicksilver system in my '91, gives a nasty righteous scream
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. mrp_e

mrp_e Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    NYC, BRK, PlmSprngs
    Full Name:
    Bill
  21. licodix

licodix Karting

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    Sorry to re-open this discussion:

Is there a source for a -even copied - Service Manual for early Diablos
    RWD cars from 1990-1992?

Lamboweb and others just have parts cataloge, but no Service Manual.
    Saw some more specific stuff on 6.0 - but not on the 5.7
    Most of the Lambo workshops are no help as well these days.

Anyone any idea? (of course best would be a download, but paper copy would do fine as well. And I guess I am not the only one searching for this)

22. Mr Mezzanotte

Mr Mezzanotte Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2006
    UK
    I am aware of 3 WSM's :

93-94 VT/2wd
    97-99 2wd

23. skierlawyer

skierlawyer Rookie

Sep 12, 2010
    Golden, CO
    Full Name:
    Brian
    For what it's worth my '91 Diablo has been trouble free and is an unbelievable exotic to own. It's much more of an event to take it out than my Ferrari F355.

24. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    this is the part number for the WSM that covers 91-94. There isn't one specific for the early Diablos.

25. 97 Spider

97 Spider Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Baker, MT
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I really need to find one too. Sledge4.2 do you know if there is anywhere that a guy can download one like all the Ferrari ones that are available? Thanks.