Driving Impressions-Murcielago vs. Gallardo? | LamborghiniChat
News

Driving Impressions-Murcielago vs. Gallardo?

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Discussion (not model specific)' started by racerdj, Apr 8, 2004.

1. racerdj

racerdj Formula 3

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Please post if you have driven both as I have only driven the Gallardo. If possible 6 speed vs. 6 speed. Please add if you would compare both the above mentioned with the 360 without the insults of any cars, drivers, styling and attitudes.

2. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula Junior

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    It really does not matter what others think. If you are considering spending that kind of money you need to drive all those cars you are interested in. Personally I would take the Gallardo over the 360 except that I do not have enough head room. I did not fit well in the Modena but I am fine in the 360 spider. Maybe the rag top Gallardo will have ample room for me. It is scheduled to arrive in Jan. 2006 but is actually ready for production now. They are waiting for the coupe sales to drop first.

E-gear experience is that the Gallardo is better than the 360 F1. It was the most current software in the Lamborghini. I had an opportunity to drive the e-gear Murcielago at Amelia Island a month ago but turned it down as I have no interest in the car. The Gallardo seems more solid and faster than the 360 spider. Of course it is a hard top car so it should be more solid. My biggest complaint about rag tops is body flex. I cannot stand it.

My favorite cars are the 575 Maranello and the Murcielago both with sticks.

aehaas

3. jim g

jim g Karting

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    Torque is the BIGGEST difference, between the Gallardo and especially the 360. The Murci has the Gallardo's maximum torque 370 lbft at around 2500 rpm and 100 lbft more then the 360 peek at that rpm peaking at 480lbft. The 360 is definately quicker steering then both. I put over 21000 miles on 2 360's and only had minimal seat time in the Gallardo so maybe check in on lambocars forum there is a guy over there that owns a Gallardo, Murci, and 360 so he'd be great for you to contact. Seems like they put the extra long gearing from the Murci on the Gallardo and that's where alot of complaints are coming from on steep inclines etc. Sorry though I only drove the e-gear.

4. Napolis

Napolis Formula 3
    Honorary

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    "E-gear experience is that the Gallardo is better than the 360 F1. It was the most current software in the Lamborghini."
    Really?
    Search and you will find that the E gear coupled with the tall 1st gear in the Gallardo is a DISASTER on hills and steep driveways. In Calif. I've read of at least one that was unable to make it up the owners driveway and is being returned under lemon law. Check out V10 Lambo ta*lk.

5. jim g

jim g Karting

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    Sorry its not the e-gear problem the 6 speeds are having the same problem. Check the archives on lambocars forum. Can't believe they put that tall a first gear in it.

6. Napolis

Napolis Formula 3
    Honorary

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Wow I didn't realize that. Micro flywheels and racing clutches are also a problem on the street. I wonder what the P CGT will be like on the hills of SF.
    Ever wonder why you sometimes see race cars having to be pushed out of the pits?

7. jim g

jim g Karting

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    Yep tall gears that's exactly why they get pushed or spin the tires like crazy in huge torquey engines there not as big a problem like with the Murci but just think the first gear on the Gallardo is like second on a 360.

8. racerdj

racerdj Formula 3

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Thanks to all who have kept this thread on facts rather than bashing great sports cars!!

9. G-force

G-force Formula 3

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    [. In Calif. I've read of at least one that was unable to make it up the owners driveway and is being returned under lemon law. Check out V10 Lambo ta*lk.[/QUOTE]

It is not at that point yet .....I only mentioned to the guy yesterday
    that he might have a possibility with the lemon law if he can't get it resolved.

10. kverges

kverges Karting

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Weird - I have no complaint at all about 1st gear in my Gallardo, although I have had some cold driveability issues that are hopefully being addressed at my 1500 mile service. It's not a drag car, but rundles along in parking lots and parking garages fine for me in 1st.

11. FerrariSlave

FerrariSlave Guest

Nov 14, 2003
    Chicago & Miami
    I dont understand why it would have trouble going up steeper inclines or other obsticals because it has a big first gear.

12. Napolis

Napolis Formula 3
    Honorary

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It is not at that point yet .....I only mentioned to the guy yesterday
    that he might have a possibility with the lemon law if he can't get it resolved.[/QUOTE]

Wayne
    As someone who knows how to drive (you) how have you found it on steep hills? Do you find a problem? This weeks autoweek comented on the P CGT's lightweight clutch and flywheel interesting read.
    Best

13. scycle2020

scycle2020 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    all three are geat cars but very different....and you must compair coupes to coupes...i like the 360 best for steering, shifting and quick light feel..but it is diffenetly theslowest.... i actually like the murcis steering,and 6 speed better the gallardo....and of course for looks.. the murci rules!!!!

14. G-force

G-force Formula 3

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles

Wayne
    As someone who knows how to drive (you) how have you found it on steep hills? Do you find a problem? This weeks autoweek comented on the P CGT's lightweight clutch and flywheel interesting read.
    Best[/QUOTE]

I haven't had on a steep hill. My drive is moderate but blast up it anyhow so I'm no judge about creeping!

15. jim g

jim g Karting

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    Dave the guy on the Lambocars forum goes by murciegallardotako. He owns all the above cars; 360 Spider, Murcie, and a Gallardo so try to contact him.

16. Jason

Jason Karting

Dec 1, 2001

Earlier thread: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11022

17. racerdj

racerdj Formula 3

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    With an open mind, I drove to Chicago and spent 30-40 minutes driving in each of the Gallardo E-gear and Murcielago 6 speed. The Gallardo was fun to drive but I really missed the 6 speed. After driving the Murcielago, I feel that I have now driven something as close to an F-50 as I will ever drive. I was blown away with the car. I now understand why it is 100k more than the Gallardo. After again driving the 6 speed, it reaffirms that when a car company discontinues the stick is the same time I discontinue purchasing cars from them.