Diablo growl. From what? | LamborghiniChat
News

Diablo growl. From what?

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Supercars' started by F456M, Mar 29, 2020.

1. F456M

F456M Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Hi guys.

Let me introduce myself. I am Erik and quite active on the 456/550/575 forum section of FerrariChat.com. I live in Oslo Norway and also in Villefranche-sur-Mer at the French riviera. I have no Lambo yet, but I have friends with most of Lamborghini’s models.

Since 2013 I have been the lucky owner of a Ferrari 550 Maranello. A car form the 90-ies with specs and performance not far from a Diablo. Last summer my buddy and I had a great trip from Oslo to Prague with his 6,0 Diablo. When driving that car, I noticed how much more «growl» that car have compared to my 550 which is much quieter. I am not just talking about the exhaust sound, but more the «wooop» when pressing the throttle down at lower revs. SO, my question is If someone in here have the answer to why this is so much more present in the Diablo...!?

Both are V12s, Diablo 5,7/6,0 l and the 550 5,5 liter. The Lambo is 60 degree V-angle, while the Ferrari is 65 degrees. Would that have any impact? As far as I know, this sound comes from the intake. And both cars have one throttle body per inlet manifold (half of the engine). And both goes to a set of big air filter boxes. One engine is right behind you. The other right in front of you. I can’t understand why that should make a big difference?

Thanks for all input. I apprechiate it!

(No secret I want to make my 550 sound more like a Diablo).

Booker likes this.
  2. falconsprint

falconsprint Rookie

Jun 13, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I agree the Diablo has a distinctive growl, especially inside the passenger compartment. I'm no expert, but I suspect it has to do with a several factors. Bore and stroke, intake manifold and valve train.... Don't forget that besides the engine being behind you, the air intakes are just outside the windows.

Shark01, Tu160bomber and F456M like this.
  3. F456M

F456M Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Yes, these are factors which plays an important role. I tried once to disconnect my air filter boxes just to try, and there ser almost no difference at all. So I can’t really understand where this deep mean sound actually comes from... I had also a Maserati 4200 for a few years and that had a magnificent sound aswell. Much more fun to drive than the Ferrari to be quite honest.

I am wondering If it can have something to do with ignition advance? The Maserati had much more grunt than the Ferrari for some reason, and I imagine that it got more fuel and more ignition pre advance when throttle pedal was put far down. The Diablo have a fantastic sound here.... :)

4. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula Junior

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Just buy the Diablo. Job done! :D

John Petrovic, mrp_e, Shark01 and 2 others like this.
  5. F456M

F456M Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Don’t say like that. It is hard to get some sleep...

Spyder-Man likes this.
  6. Spyder-Man

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Come on, you know you want to. I'll help . . .

1. Find the car
    2. Buy the car
    3. Live happily ever after :D

F456M likes this.
  7. F456M

F456M Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Hi Rob.

I wish it was that easy. My other big interest is powerboats (Cigarette, Fountain, Donzi etc.) so I have plenty of things to spend and save for.

In my country Norway, we have some pretty stiff import taxes on cars. Last year a change in tax regulations came into force. Previously car of 30 years of age were tax free (except 25% VAT Value Added Tax) and these cars were considdered veteran cars. They still have that 30 year rule, but last year, the immense tax max age went down from 30 to 20 years. It means that many cars became considderably less expencive to import. So now, the first Murciélagos came out in 2002 (I believe), will actually be tax free if imported in 2022. If the car was build during 2001, they will be tax free in 2021, which is next year! The tax vary with age, but to wait two years saves about 15.000 dollars. (Still need to pay the 25% VAT) Do you know when the first ones came out and when they were build? I mean a Murcielago is a lot more modern and drivable compared to a similar priced Diablo early 2WD car and is probably cheaper to own too? Any input on that?

Thanks!

8. Shark01

Shark01 Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    No kidding.....and the Roadster model takes everything great about a Diablo to the next level.

F456M and Spyder-Man like this.
  9. DiabloClyde

DiabloClyde Rookie

Feb 12, 2020
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Diablo Clyde
    To be honest, I'm not sure why the growl but I do know it is a trait with Lamborghini vs Ferrari. Sound is immensely different along the torque curve, as well. My 97 Roadster's happy place begins at ~ 5,000 RPMs up to 6,800. Huge pull, deep roar, super fast, loads of fun. I have not connected my stereo in a long time, in fact I took it out for some work and never reinstalled it as it is the last thing I care about! The 12 cylinder concert is more than enough :)

Tu160bomber likes this.
  10. mrp_e

mrp_e Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    NYC, BRK, PlmSprngs
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I have an early Diablo (with Quicksilver exhaust) and a 550 (with Bradan straight pipes and Tubis), and have driven them both NYC to Cali and back. I'm not an engineer so can't explain technically why they sound so different but to me its like a Gibson Les Paul compared to a Fender strat. They're simply different machines. I love them both dearly and I highly suggest you grab a Diablo before big time collectors realize how usable and reliable they are compared to an all-mighty Countach.

This one looks breathtaking:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-lamborghini-diablo/

11. Spyder-Man

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I agree, loving the white. Can you still get the smaller (later) dash to swap out? It's my only bug bear, I prefer the smaller dash and if brought an early example, would attempt to find and fit one. Anyway, that looks a nice car and not a bad price.
    R

12. mrp_e

mrp_e Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    NYC, BRK, PlmSprngs
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I never understood why some people make a big deal of the dash, I easily see fine over it and I'm barely 6 feet. And if that while one goes for anything near the current bid (135) I will cry myself to sleep for a month for not stealing it myself. Would make a wicked pair with my white downdraft. The reserve has to be in the 175 range, or else that seller is truly desperate.

13. Spyder-Man

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    All personal preference. I dislike the appearence and size of the original dash. I think the later one is more to my taste. Also, I'm only 5.5, so smaller dash would help my visability. That or a big cushion on the drivers seat :D

I'm not US based, but if around the 140 -150 mark, I would have a go on this example.

R

Tu160bomber likes this.
  14. white out

white out Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2010
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Nick
    550/575 has a terrible exhaust layout (dual 2.25" which is crushed in sections) at least the 550 has tubular exhaust manifolds. If you follow my build thread in the 550/575 section it's detailed as I bumped it to a 2.5" system.

Diablo is a 2.5" with variations in manifold design, the later design is better for high pitch. Primary cats act as mufflers, so it can basically have a straight pipe after the cat to the bumper to amplify the sound.

15. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
  16. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    So, yeah.
    That growl solely comes from the intake inself.
    It's funny how desperate that is.
    But it's also present on the LM002 EFI, as much as the Diablo.

The exhaust manifolds are very different. Diablo 6.0 have cramped manifolds for quick heating of the catalytic converter in order to pass emissions. Long tube early style or GT-style are obviously better.

There's a video I love because of the sound.

I sort of like the exhaust note, but I wish to make it match the intake even more.
    I like standard exhaust box over any other aftermarket stuff for the growl the standard makes.

EarlyCat likes this.