Countach Downdraft | Page 443 | LamborghiniChat
News

Countach Downdraft

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Supercars' started by joe sackey, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Chadbourn Bolles

Chadbourn Bolles Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles

2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 Formula Junior

May 14, 2017
    #11052 Rossocorsa1, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019

Chad - thank you for the the reference. You have a lot, nut unfortunately there isn’t a QV euro downdraft pats manual. Do you happen to have that for an 85 car?

3. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Karting
    Giallo Subscribed

Aug 28, 2015
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Vince Finaldi
    Emilio has every manual you can think of...great collection!

4. Rossocorsa1

May 14, 2017
    Thrilled (and very relieved) to learn that compression and leak down tests revealed a very strong and healthy engine. It was a “fingers crossed” test. A different result would have altered the restoration plan. FLA12820 had an engine-out refurbishment by the factory in October, 2017, but aside from the invoice I have little itemized details, though I’m working to get them. Next week starts us down an exciting journey.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Karting
    Giallo Subscribed

Aug 28, 2015
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Vince Finaldi
    Those velocity stacks are a thing of true beauty! The car looks to be in excellent shape. Is it original paint?

6. Rossocorsa1

May 14, 2017
    It is original paint, yes, with imperfections, cracks, etc. not unusual.

Luckily the engine is in excellent shape. The elderly gentleman I bought the car from in Italy was the sole owner from new. He serviced the car at the factory and it has a mere 17,650 km’s on it (just about 11,000 miles). The car had not been driven in some time so the seller sent the car to Polo Storico in 2017 for an engine out service to get it ready to sell. Still, with nothing but an invoice on Lamborghini letterhead, I had little to go by to assure me that it was a solid, healthy engine. The engine will still get a complete tuning and cosmetic refresh (plating, etc.) So it will look new, but luckily it does not need a rebuild. The suspension will be completely restored and the clutch/transmission will be put into “like new” condition as well.

As for the cosmetics, it’s a bit rough, though, again, not unusual for Countach’s. It’s better than some and worse than others. I suppose to many it is more than fine, but it doesn’t even come close to my standard. The restoration process will be a very detailed process with a total dedication to the original specifications, right down to the screws. Fortunately, the car has no gimmicks, it’s as it came, so the vast majority of parts and components will be restored to new condition and used. As for anything that needs to be replaced, we will find original oem parts (even if inferior to today’s options). It will be an exciting process.

joe sackey and vfinaldi like this.
  7. vfinaldi

vfinaldi Karting
    Giallo Subscribed

Aug 28, 2015
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Vince Finaldi
    Wow, sounds like it might also be a good “preservation” candidate, but I can definitely understand why you would choose to go the full restoration route as well. Either way, a very solid car. Who did Polo send it to for the engine work? If it was TopMotors, they do excellent work.

8. Rossocorsa1

May 14, 2017
    I understand some people’s sentiments about preservation. Believe me, I have two classic Ferrari’s, (one, my 89 328 GTB took the preservation cup at the Cavallino Classic in January), so I appreciate what well preserved cars are all about. But, those cars are in superb, like new condition. My Countach is not in that category. Trust me, I wish it was. For some, it may be, but not to my standards. As Joe has quoted Ralph Lauren before, I’m not a caretaker of patina. At least for me, I want my cars at their peak mechanical and cosmetic condition, and in total factory specification. Everyone needs to enjoy their cars in whatever manner suits them. It will be a fun process with its ups and downs, I’m sure. But, I’m confident that the final result will be exceptional.

As for who did the work, the invoice does not indicate the name of the shop. It’s a Lamborghini factory created document with the factory address and logo on it. It basically says, in Italian, “engine restoration and carburetor tuning”. A few other things. Still, I’m trying to find out this information. Things don’t move quickly there.

vfinaldi likes this.
  9. Chadbourn Bolles

Chadbourn Bolles Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles

10. Rossocorsa1

May 14, 2017
    #11060 Rossocorsa1, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Thanks, Chad. I was viewing it on my iPhone and I had to scroll side to side to see them all.

11. joe sackey

joe sackey Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Fantastic to see these cars get their well-deserved respect, they are the epitome of the word Lamborghini.

This shot is enough to bring a tear to the eye of a grown man... the furious induction whistle has to be heard to be believed

Image Unavailable, Please Login

vfinaldi and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    S_AGATA, Ciro Izzo and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    vfinaldi, Ciro Izzo and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  16. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    #11066 raymondQV, Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    When I see these carb velocity stacks, it reminds me of this http://www.countach.ch/HeadGasket/Step5/index.html I did with the Mimran QV.
    Hard to believe, this is already 14 years ago!

joe sackey, vfinaldi and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  17. Rossocorsa1

May 14, 2017
    Not sure if you were ever able to find this, but one thing implies it is a very early car because it seems not to have an installed antenna.

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    The black RHD car is indeed a 1985 Downdraft, recently purchased by FChatter Obrut.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #11069 joe sackey, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    vfinaldi and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  21. John Petrovic

John Petrovic Rookie

Jan 15, 2019
    Calgary Canada
    Full Name:
    Ijvpet
    Downdraft Question:

I have a cable that seems to connect to the chokes of all the webers. Did the down draft have a choke pull for cold startups? I didn't know, so I neatly wound the cable and put it out of the way until I figure out what to do with it.

22. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Mine does not

23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Swiss spec AFAIK (although it may apply to Middle East & Canada spec, I'm not sure) but European spec cars do not have this

Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Spyder-Man likes this.
  25. joe sackey

Sponsor