Clutch replacement torque values required | LamborghiniChat
News

Clutch replacement torque values required

Discussion in 'V10 Lamborghinis' started by Robert Hayden, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Robert Hayden

Robert Hayden Rookie

Aug 12, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Hey guys,
    I'm currently replacing my 2004 Manual 6 speed clutch and have struck an issue whilst fitting up the flywheel and clutch assemblies.

I'm referring to page 1007 of the Gallardo workshop manual which gives 70nm value for the flywheel to crankshaft bolts, but also gives 70nm for the small 6x75mm cap screws that secure the clutch to the flywheel.

When I removed the old one, the 6mm cap screws came off really easy, not real tight at all, and they had no locktite on them anywhere.

The manual says to apply loctite (or equivalent retaining method) and torque in a very specific pattern to 70nm.

I have the old one on the bench and can't even get 30nm out of them without feeling as though they will twist or tear in half!!

I'm thinking that this value may have been lost during translation to English, as you have to presume that the original workshop manual was in Italian.

Anybody struck this issue before?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Nosexup

Nosexup Rookie

Nov 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nick claydon
    #2 Nosexup, Jan 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    If they are M6 even if they are 12.9 grade then the recommended torque would only be 20 Nm for an M6 fastener and less if a lower tensile grade is used. If they are lubricated with loctite during installation then the torque would be less than a dry install.
    A figure of 70 is more likely in/lbs.

nick

Robert Hayden likes this.
  3. Robert Hayden

Robert Hayden Rookie

Aug 12, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    So here's a thing. I was sure this wasn't right so checked a 360 Ferrari - 17nm! So I started searching the Lambo WM on the Gallardo by word 'torque'.
    Yes, it bought up like thousands of words but a bit of the way in I actually totally stumbled on page 1482 which gives a totally different set of torque figures.

So it pays to check. Even showing different values in the same document. Whoever translated the workshop manual without a proof reader needs shooting!

So the clutch is on, everything is ready for the gearbox to go back tomorrow.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Nosexup

Nosexup Rookie

Nov 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nick claydon
    That makes sense 20Nm. 12.9 grade M6 bolts fitted with Medium Strength Loctite 243

5. Robert Hayden

Robert Hayden Rookie

Aug 12, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Isn't it bizarre that the factory WSM gives these two contradictory values. Traps for the unwary.