Classic lambo drain in europe continental? | LamborghiniChat
News

Classic lambo drain in europe continental?

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Discussion (not model specific)' started by Countachqv, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I cannot help but notice that classic lambos leaving continental Europe in what appears to be a significant amount. There are many things that are leading to this: cost to own made prohibitive (carbon tax, mandated inspections, etc), political climate in a time of the yellow jackets painting lambo owners as elitists, environmental regulations prohibiting certain cars to drive certain days, forcing electric cars, mandating new rules leading to forced car modifications, law enforcement on speeding going amok, huge speed bumps in the middle of nowhere (France), smaller road and parking spaces (in my native town 2 buses cannot cross any longer and they expanded walkways).
    I used to drive an exotics in the 80s in France and these were great time but I have this perception that now having an exotic is being a black sheep unless driving in group to the "proper show places".
    Here in the USA, I still can go buy my bread at stop and shop with a countach and go pretty much anywhere without any worries.
    I'll be interested to hear some European feeback on the subject.

2. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Stop and Shop - no worries? You are brave, Patrick, you are brave. I can only do that at 6:30am on a Sunday.

3. JTSE30

JTSE30 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    USA's 25 year DOT blockade is a moving target so now more cars can be brought over without modification (EPA is 21 year for cars with original powertrain)...makes sense some would be head to USA, many actually have already....

But I hear you on all the "shaming" occurring in the EU...

4. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 Formula Junior

May 14, 2017
    European regulation is out of control and continues to be a growing deterrent for many who wish to enjoy our great hobby (and many others). While I'm sure all the points Patrick has made about the incredible infringement on personal property and liberty in Europe are very true, I also think vintage Lamborghini's are becoming a real sought after commodity by shrewd collectors, particularly:

- 400 GT's
    - Miuras
    - Countach LP 400s
    - Countach QV Downdrafts

These are the gems of Lamborghini's earlier years and American's with money are grabbing them.

5. EarlyCat

EarlyCat Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 9, 2005
    Shot gun shack in another part of the world
    Full Name:
    Marty Bryde
    Several years ago many Countachs left US. It was very common. Exchange rates were favorable & so was interest.

Cars are still leaving US, especially 60's & 70's American brands. Germany seems to be active. Several months ago a friend sold this 356 to a guy in Madrid Spain for an eye watering amount. No engine and rust on every panel with no floor boards.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Tu160bomber and Peter K. like this.