Carbon painted Lamborghini? | LamborghiniChat
News

Carbon painted Lamborghini?

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Discussion (not model specific)' started by GianPaolo, Mar 17, 2005.

1. GianPaolo

GianPaolo Karting

Dec 4, 2004
    BENSONHURST
    Full Name:
    JohnPaul
    Does anyone know if Lamborghini made any cars that were unpainted that just showcased the carbon fiber? Like a diablo GT for example?

2. richard

richard Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
  3. GianPaolo

GianPaolo Karting

Dec 4, 2004
    BENSONHURST
    Full Name:
    JohnPaul
    Thanks Richard!!

Does ANYONE have any other pics? Like of a Diablo? I have pics of a Pagani Zonda and Bugatti in unpainted carbon but don't have any of a lamborghini.

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Rookie
    Consultant

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Internet Poseur
    Does not unpainted CF degrade when exposed to sun light? It seems to on motorcycles.

5. need4speed

need4speed Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Wasn't there an all CF Countach in Road & Track a few years back? I think I've read stories of Horacio Pagani being at Lamborghini at that time and got a lot of his expertise with CF from that project.

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    When unprotected, it does turn a yellowish color. You can put a UV protectant on it and it will stay the same (this is what they do for aftermarket rear decklids and hoods).

7. GianPaolo

GianPaolo Karting

Dec 4, 2004
    BENSONHURST
    Full Name:
    JohnPaul
    It shoulden't. I know people with carbon fiber hoods and bumpers on civics and they seem to be allright (daily drivers). And my cousin has a bunch of carbon pieces on his "Giusepperossa".

But if your talking about over a period of 10 years i really have no clue.

8. shiggins

shiggins Karting

Nov 20, 2004
    Any carbon fibre worth a dime these days is made with resin already containing UV protection. They carbon fibre last about 7 years in Miami type sun conditions without yellowing, after that, its a crap shoot.

9. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Would that be Banana Boat or Hawaiin Tropic ? :)

10. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    How much weight does it save? Few pounds?

11. Ducman491

Ducman491 Rookie

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The carbon fiber fairings on my 748 saved a few pounds and if you replace the tank and every thing I think it is in the neighborhood of a 20 pound reduction. The stuff is just plain light.

12. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    It depends on what you're replacing. If you're replacing aluminum body panels, you won't be that amazed with the savings. If it's steel, you'll save a lot. Changing out glass for plexi saves a lot of weight, too.

13. Robin

Robin Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I saw an episode of Motorsports Mondial on Speedvision years ago that had a bare carbon fiber Diablo. Looked pretty good actually...

-R

14. GianPaolo

GianPaolo Karting

Dec 4, 2004
    BENSONHURST
    Full Name:
    JohnPaul
    Sweet i wish i could of seen it. You wouldn't happen to know if it came out of the factory like that do you??

15. GianPaolo

GianPaolo Karting

Dec 4, 2004
    BENSONHURST
    Full Name:
    JohnPaul
    some pics of a carbon Pagani.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Sorry, what I meant was not painting it. What would the paint and clear coats weigh?

17. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I've always seen CF clear coated even if it's not going to get painted. Paint can weigh a lot depending on the layers. I can only guess you'll probably save something like 30-40 lbs (depends on size of car and coats).

It's better to reduce any weight that has rotational inertia (unsprung weight) like pulleys, wheels, tires, brakes (CF, smaller diameter), clutches/flywheels, drive shafts, etc.