Audi to sell Lambo.... | LamborghiniChat
News

Audi to sell Lambo....

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Discussion (not model specific)' started by riverflyer, Mar 20, 2006.

1. riverflyer

riverflyer Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    As reported in German newpaper FAZ. What do you think this will mean to Lambo? From what I heard from someone in Germany, the warranty issues are the reason, although Audi just spent 400million Euros on the new plant.

2. ghost

ghost Formula Junior
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Vik
    Is this confirmed, or just a rumor? Spinning it off to shareholders (ie, a public offering), or selling to a corporate?

3. wax

wax Rookie
    Advising Moderator

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    http://www.just-auto.com/news_detail.asp?art=51252
    GERMANY: Lamborghini not for sale
    15 Mar 2006
    Source: just-auto.com editorial team

Article Summary:
    Audi does not plan to sell Lamborghini, contrary to reports published in the German magazine auto motor und sport.

(I'm not a subscriber, so WYSIWYG)

4. ghost

ghost Formula Junior
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Vik
    That's what I would have thought. Would have been a VERY surprising move for them, given their investments in the Company to date, and the fact that Lambo is just starting to hit their stride.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    My friends that work for Lambo have not said anything about a weakening resolve on the part of Audi.

They do however regretfully say that they see the company becoming very much more German with the trend in engineering and product development going in the direction of Audi's with exotic bodywork.

They find it very discouraging and expect the ever increasing number of job openings to be filled by Germans. Can you say non renweal of contracts?

It will soon no longer be an Italian car, it will be full on German built in a satellite plant.

6. ralfabco

ralfabco F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixieland
    Full Name:
    Israel Beiteinu
    This was actually a joke.

Nothing more.

7. riverflyer

riverflyer Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Brian, I suspect you are correct on this and it will be a shame, imo.

As far as the sale goes, I guess we will know soon it its a rumor or a fact. I did read the story where Audi claims the pending sale item was a joke but have heard elsewhere that is just smoke and the sale will happen.

8. kirill

kirill Rookie

Jul 8, 2004
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Kirill
    And what about Audi S8 sharing engine with Lambo ?

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    John what you may be talking about is the fact that last year the warranty expenses were being hidden from the Germans. A year end audit uncovered them and the sh*t really hit the fan. Heads got rolled and the Germans made all sorts of threats. Sounds like one of the threats went public and someone took it seriously.

10. kirill

kirill Rookie

Jul 8, 2004
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Kirill
    Car companies insure "excess warranty liabilities". Some pissed of owner trying to cause trouble for the company hoping they can improve quality. Now news here - just somebody trying to make one from the rumor he heard in a restroom.

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That information was not a rumor. As I said it was from some friends that work for tha Lambo factory.
    I am unaware of excess warranty liabilities or insurance coverage for same but I suspect it is not done by the Italian companies because I know of 2 times in the last 23 years when unexpected warranty costs nearly put one company out of business, again not rumor.

12. kirill

kirill Rookie

Jul 8, 2004
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Kirill
    Sorry - i misunderstood your post. Still no reason to sale the company. Heads better roll if they use some creative accounting to manipulate the number. Even if Audi not subject to SOX they still can get in trouble.

13. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2004
    Yeah, well more German influence? Might as well shut her down. Lamborghini will turn into another commoditized brand in a short time.

14. Cavallini

Cavallini Karting

Nov 2, 2003

They'll end up losing money. Don't they understand the appeal of Lamborghini is its flamboyant feel and Italianness?

Perhaps they think they can simply put a Lambo engine in it and do the rest in German.

Kiss residual values goodbye, unless Audi plans to do some very sophisticated engineering with Lambo that they would otherwise not be able to do.

But the writing is on the wall with the use of the G's engine in a few Audis.

What a shame.....

Forza,

Cavallini

15. Auraraptor

Auraraptor Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Sell Lambo to Ferrari ;)

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

You are making the classic mistake of thinking that the average auto consumer has your tastes. They do not. Look at how many really awful front wheel drive s**t boxes have had a wing put on the back and some combination of the letters X,R,S,T,W,G,T, attached to the name and they have sold like hotcakes. Harley Davidson, Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche just to name a few can put their badge on anything and sell it, maybe not to the faithful, but they will sell.

I think the Lambo engine will be the next major thing to go. VW/AUDI has some very powerful engines that are much less expensive to build. Just bolt on some finned aluminum castings that say Lamborghini and a loud muffler.

Sad, but I think that is the future.

Want a preview? Look at Rolls or the Bentley Cont GT. Do either resemble what used to come out of Crew? Pop the hood, one of the most famous engine builders in the world and now it says Fabrik en Deutschland.

17. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 Karting

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    HELL YEAH!

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Why would they buy? Lambo or should I say AUDI will take itself out of the game.

The only question that remains, will Ferrari do likewise?

19. noahlh

noahlh Karting

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    And how! I'm still amazed at how "at home" I felt when getting behind the wheel of a rental S4 when I was last in LA. Never been in the new A/S4, but Gallardo's dash/guages/radio could have been a direct swap!

nlh

20. Auraraptor

Auraraptor Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    ;) <- implies joke

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Sorry, to dense to get it.

But my second sentence does worry me a little. Without Lambo biting at their heels, what then?

22. Auraraptor

Auraraptor Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    The cars will stagnate, performance will not really change that much, etc.

23. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 Karting

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    I don't think he was being very serious when he said that. I doubt that will actually happen.

24. hippo

hippo Karting

May 25, 2005
    KL,M'SIA
    Full Name:
    Andri
    guys,audi are doing GREAT with lamborghini ownership.everyone seems to be complaining about lambo's current "german-ness" while ALL other carmakers
    are trying to achieve exactly that;GERMAN "feel".
    seriously though,lamborghini has never been in better hands than audi.
    sales are superb,the cars are magic!feruccio must be smiling in his grave!

25. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2004
    Couldn't dissagree more