Countach - Any Countachs Out There for $200k? | LamborghiniChat
News

Countach Any Countachs Out There for $200k?

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Supercars' started by Shark01, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Shark01

Shark01 Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    So this topic came up on a 550 thread I started this week (adding a car to my '99 Diablo Roadster), basically if I couldn't get a 512 BBi (budget limited) would a 550 work for me. Then someone who knows the Countach market posts why not buy a Countach instead of a BBi, and thinks one could be had for my absolute ceiling price of $200k flat.

Now I'm pretty sure that car if it existed would be an 25th Anny car with high miles and needs, most likely in black.....and I'd would probably prefer an Anny anyway so no problem. I called on a car that this poster suggested should be able to be had in the very low $200s (ask was $300k) but though very polite said it would take close to their ask.

Before I get worked up and start following the market, thought I would ask for opinions here....thanks

joe sackey likes this.
  2. EarlyCat

EarlyCat Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 9, 2005
    Shot gun shack in another part of the world
    Full Name:
    Marty Bryde
    I think a few are out there. I went over one on the phone in the lower 200's (like 230 or so) for someone this weekend. Overall a decent car for the right person, however still a needy car. Mostly sitting for many years. Runs now, decently in the parking lot anyways. Owner won't let any test drives off of the property. Some paint issues, old tires, minor electrical issues (more than likely relays sticking). No records of any kind or verbal history to share. Spare tire & most of a tool kit were present. US bumpers & if you can believe this, the smog pump still has a belt.

3. ElvisNasty

ElvisNasty Karting

Dec 13, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Elvis Jenkins Nasty
    It's like Bigfoot. We have all heard about one, but no one has actually seen it in person.

Peter K. likes this.
  4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed Formula Junior
    Giallo Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    did your friend buy the white one?

5. EarlyCat

EarlyCat Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Marty Bryde
  6. PineChris

PineChris Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I had a friend ask me what I thought of this 25th. From the pics it looked good. What are the issues? Inmo, any Countach you buy in the low 200s needs a lot of work. Even the ones I saw in the high 200's needed a lot of work.

Ellagirl and S_AGATA like this.
  7. EarlyCat

EarlyCat Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Marty Bryde
    I think we are talking about the same friend. He said he had contacted you. Multi Lambo owner & a Ferrari owner among other cars. The front has been repainted, which might not concern at this age (inspect!!), the paint on the door is what needs a closer look. I don't like the cracks. Has the door frame been bent? Some of the stitching on the side of the seat has came loose. I mentioned above several things electrical were not working. I believe them to be simple stuck relays & clean fuses in my experience. The cv boots need replacing. Mostly stuff you should expect on a 30 year old car that has had limited use (18,000 kms IIRC) . I think if it was a QV or 5000s he would have bought it & dealt with the issues. Not beating on it, I think for the right person it could be a fun car. *I have not seen this car in person.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. PineChris

PineChris Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Pending an inspection, I think if the car could be bought around 200k you'd be ok.

Ellagirl and EarlyCat like this.
  9. ttforcefed

Giallo Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    so where did this end up?

10. EarlyCat

EarlyCat Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Marty Bryde
    joe sackey likes this.
  11. ttforcefed

Giallo Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Oh thanks I lost track of that. Looks like i was pretty close thinking it wld go under 200k

12. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    I know of a 2V injection 5000S in that ballpark. I would still suggest paying up for a perfect carb car though.

13. derekfc

derekfc Karting

Oct 28, 2014
    [​IMG]

Lemacc likes this.
  14. ttforcefed

Giallo Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    hahahhahahaha

15. EarlyCat

EarlyCat Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Marty Bryde
    Easy! I think I know of the same or similar 5000s for under 200k. The body was heavily modified, the flairs were molded into the body. Total restoration.

16. derekfc

derekfc Karting

Oct 28, 2014
    two different cars
    both in same condition

EarlyCat likes this.
  17. Michael Call

Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    Yes. Both are different cans of worms. Can you buy a Countach for $200K? YES. Should you buy a $200K Countach? Not unless the owner has been living on the moon for the past decade and has no idea what their car is worth.

Ellagirl, Ciro Izzo and joe sackey like this.
  18. joe sackey

joe sackey Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    The Countach quest is always a noble pursuit, so kudos to you for even considering it.

That said, here is my humble advice FWIW:

Since this is your first Countach (I assume - correct me if I'm wrong) don't search for a $200k Countach, in fact don't search any Countach based on budget.

Instead, search for someone who has had decades of ownership, maintenance & restoration experience with the Countach. Hopefully this person will not only be a professional who specializes in them, but will be someone you can trust. You'll know the latter when they are patient and give generously of their time and knowledge to get to know you and what you like or don't, will go above and beyond in focussing on what's good for for just you, will communicate with you even over the weekend, and will do all of that just to be a good resource to you and not to necessarily sell you a car.

There is more than one person who fits the above description, I believe.

When you find such a person, just like when you have any good professional working for you, listen to what they recommend, that will be your guide to your Countach quest, and you'll end up in a good place, guaranteed, even if you have to wait and it takes you years to trade your way into a good one

Not without experienced speciality help and a substantial budget for the inevitably ensuing refurbishment/restoration project!

Michael Call likes this.
  19. Michael Call

Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    EarlyCat and Peter K. like this.
  20. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    For the right price, they are all worth saving.

John Petrovic likes this.
  21. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Would love to see the stripping process.
    I would love to take a grinder/sander to that and watch the aluminum and fiberglass re-appear.
    I bet instead of caulking the seams, someone just took body filler and cover it.

Again, they all deserve to be rescued. Most important thing for cars like this is to get it in your possession (and away from some of the situations they sit in).

22. EarlyCat

EarlyCat Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Marty Bryde
  23. Michael Call

Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    I don't have any photos of the other car. It was however featured in a YouTube video. I always cringe when youtubers make car review videos using poor examples of classic cars that don't drive anywhere near like they did when they were new.

EarlyCat and S_AGATA like this.
  24. EarlyCat

EarlyCat Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Marty Bryde
    I can tell I have been out of the market for sometime. That one looks (appears) decent, as far as a driver. A high end detail would do wonders.

Peter K. likes this.
  25. Michael Call

Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    This particular car had the misfortune of the crankshaft breaking. The less said about the subsequent "rebuild" the better. That said, I can think of few cars that are as photogenic as a red Countach. To someone who knows these cars well, the most casual inspection will reveal decades of indifferent care and maintenance. There are also too many "GEET-ER-DUN" band aid repairs throughout the car to list. Restorable? Sure. Would it be possible to make it "right" and not be buried deeper than the Marianas trench? Not a chance.

joe sackey likes this.