6.0 Diablo- First Drive | LamborghiniChat
News

6.0 Diablo- First Drive

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Discussion (not model specific)' started by whart, Jan 7, 2005.

1. whart

whart Formula 3
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Well, despite the almost forbidding weather here in the Northeast, the day turned clear, the sun was peeking out, and the roads were dry; it had rained at some point, so alot of that foul faux salt was off the roads for now. Having spent the last couple days walking up to the garage to admire this car, i rationally concluded that this afternoon was as good as any for an inaugural drive.
    I had already worked out the seating and steering wheel settings during my garage time with the car, so a quick adjustment of the side mirrors (for what that's worth), depressed clutch and went thru the two stage key position; car started with a sound not unlike a large, industrial machine- not a gutteral engine sound- somewhat muted, but you could feel the pulse in your ass.
    I put it into reverse, pulled out and then gingerly negotiated my steep, cobblestone driveway, crawling out onto the street lest I scrape the nose. Not a scritch- car, even at normal front suspension height, seems to have a little more clearance than the nose of the GT2, which required an endless supply of front valences.
    I boogied down River Road, caught 340, a two lane B road leading toward Joisey, and let the car warm up- the tractor origins of these cars should never be something to apologize for- the thing can pull stumps. Torque, and an endless supply of power, combined with a fairly supple ride, in a big, rigid platform- give it gas, it has that "turbine"-like response attributed to so many 12 cyl. engines, but smoother, and less carlike- more like what i imagine a turbine engine would feel like if that is possible- with a slight menace of growl that grows as the pedal goes down deeper. No lag- i will not miss the twin turbo, i'm convinced, just a slight getting down to business settling of chassis as the motor winds up and the car digs down. Its a big mo', nimble in a sense, but its no tossable boy racer. This thing is meant for big roads at BIG speeds.
    I didn't really push it, just wanted to get a feel for the thing. The brakes are great, the steering wheel is tiny, the driving position perfect- not as soft as the Maranello, not as strapped in as the GT2 with Recaro racing seats, but just right. Visibility is actually amazing forward, to the rear almost a joke, but its like looking thru a slot; i'm sure i'll get used to that, it didn't bother me as much as i thought it would. I drove steadily for about an hour, just taking it thru the paces, no heavy downshifts, no engine braking, the clutch feel is good, very positive. The car is extremely tight, i love the heavy steering. And, without too much trouble, i was actually able to adjust the climate control to comfort while i was rolling. I stopped in Piermont and the car drew a crowd of a dozen within moments, no obnoxious remarks, just righteous awe of a piece of engineering you just don't get to see too often. I felt blessed and still giddy after i shut the car down in the garage. What a car!

2. Jay

Jay Karting
    Owner

Nov 13, 2003
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I know exactly how you feel Bill. Glad you were able to take it out and had fun. I find the rear visability pretty good. The ony thing I noticed was it's hard to see your rear quarter on the passenger side. I may have to tweek the mirror though :)

We will have to meet up this spring/summer. Like you say, it's only 5 min via Lambo LOL!!! :)

3. bobafett

bobafett Formula 3

Sep 28, 2002
    Just wait til you're gingerly getting onto the freeway, find that it's absolutely wide-open, and realized that while you've got all the torque in the world, the 5-3 double-clutch will literally send you to warp speed. Better have the v1 cranked and your firm on speed-dial!

--Dan

PS: is the car with stock or tubi? Tubi is worth the investment - you literally can't hear a stock 6.0 standing side by side with a tubi'd car at idle.

4. lotustt

lotustt Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Excellent!

5. whart

whart Formula 3
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    stock exhaust, frankly after a year and a half of having my molars rattled at idle in the GT2 with a Fabspeed, a little peace and quiet is a nice thing. It also seems to get a nice sound when you get on it, so no SFX, at least for now...

6. Doody

Doody Formula 3

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    congrats dude!

as zan says, the first rule of italian driving is 'whatsa behind you izza not impo-tant'

enjoy it in good health!

doody.

7. davem

davem Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford,Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Enjoy! And now a toast.....May your roads be salt free, the highways clear ahead, the cops busy with Dunkin, and the bull running free!

8. 993 guy

993 guy Karting

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    Great synopsis Bill and it sounds like you have a real beauty there. I can only imagine how all the folks in Piermont reacted. Especially the bikers and cyclists with that "menace" heading towards them on the narrow street. Beautiful... ;-)

9. Greg G

Greg G Karting

Jul 5, 2003
    northern New Jersey
    aaahhhh nice!

10. zan

zan Karting

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
    :) :) :) :) :)

Visibility was my concern too, after a couple days no problemo!, if you need to change lanes, punch it, if someone was there, they're not now!

congrats,
    Mark

11. 360LVR

360LVR Rookie

Jul 18, 2004
    I love that feeling!!!
    Something about the 6.0L is just special. I don't know if its the racey look on the interior with all the carbon fiber, the classic diablo look, or the purr/roar of the V-12, but nothing I have ever driven (including the Murci) makes me smile like driving the 6.0.

As for the speedo- subtract about 10-12% away from what the speedo says. All 6.0 Diablos have speedos that register higher than the actual speed; hence your odometer for mileage is about 10-12% high as well.

Enjoy the rush!! Not too many 6.0s left in the US....

12. Napolis

Napolis Formula 3
    Honorary

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Bill
    Always change lanes slowly and do so while accellerating a touch. Signal for a while before you move out. I've often wondered about side mounted/blindspot parking sensors. Also don't use downshifts to slow down use your brakes. Make sure after a long highway cruise to tap them every once and a while to keep them warm. Like your GT2 this one may have a bit of off throttle oversteer. If you do something stupid crank in a little opposite lock before you ease off, straighten out, and then brake hard heading straight.
    Lose enough speed then turn back.
    Sounds Great!

13. FL 355

FL 355 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    I Told You So :)

Yup, Great Car. Bill - I never would put Tubi on my FCar, but wait till you meet someone with a Tubi and hear it...you'll go out and buy one the next day. Trust me on this one. Perfect pitch on the car with no "booming" a constant speed like an FCar.

Draws a crowd everywhere you go..got gas yesterday and when I walked out after paying about 5 people around the car! Funny.

Again, I've had no problem with the blind spot. If you do a camera please post something here with pix.

Great write up. Hope spring comes soon...

FL

14. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    who needs mirrors? i know where i've been.

15. Brandi

Brandi Rookie

Jan 27, 2004
    Milano, Italy
  16. ralfabco

ralfabco F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixieland
    Full Name:
    Israel Beiteinu
    SPS engineering in LA. They have a Japanese Ti exhaust, that is similar to the L- Fac race GT setup. It looks really cool. That is what Allan recommends.

Don't forget the gold chains, when you ride the tractor.

17. thecarreaper

thecarreaper Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    southeast
    Full Name:
    name
    nice write up, its great to get such insight to such a great car, congradulations.

18. tbakowsky

tbakowsky Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I feel (personaly anyway) The 6.o Diablo is the one to get..bar none. It has the look and power that should be in an exotic car. Great choice..enjoy the wonderful machine you have been blessed with!

19. bentasm1

bentasm1 Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    Go to www.slantback.com and click movies. I have a comparison video with both of my 6.0's with one factory exhaust and one tubi exhaust. Decide for yourself which you like.

-Ben

20. damcgee

damcgee Karting

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    Full Name:
    Andy

Do you still have both of them? I thought you were selling the yellow one?

21. racerdj

racerdj Formula 3

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I agree totally with your feelings. This means that my mileage is actually 8-9 mpg instead of 9-10. Pics please.

22. Greg G

Greg G Karting

Jul 5, 2003
    northern New Jersey
    #22 Greg G, Jan 9, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. BusDriver

BusDriver Rookie

Mar 30, 2004
    Hi Greg

Did you buy the Lambo from somebody in Boston?
    I think this car used to park next to me at work in town.

Just curious
    - Jon

24. 993 guy

993 guy Karting

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    Who's the good lookin' dude with the Arena Red 993?! Hot car! ;-)

Greg's right...not only is Bill's 6.0 beautiful in pictures, you truly can't appreciate how stunning the car is without seeing it with your own eyes. Stunning...

25. 993 guy

993 guy Karting

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    It's actually Bill's 6.0 and it came from Motorcars Intl. in the Midwest...it's literally brand new in almost every respect.