1992 James Bond "Die Another Day" Diablo is on Ebay again! $40K no reserve! | LamborghiniChat
News

1992 James Bond "Die Another Day" Diablo is on Ebay again! $40K no reserve!

Discussion in 'Lamborghini Discussion (not model specific)' started by Bxtech, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Bxtech

Bxtech Karting

May 4, 2006
    SF Bay Area
  2. phrogs

phrogs Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    MI sometimes wy
    Full Name:
    Johnny
    #2 phrogs, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    So let me guess this is a car to stay away from for some reason or a number of reasons.

But it has a bid Looks like it would be a good toy!

3. *fill-up*

*fill-up* Rookie

Mar 11, 2011
    Orland Park, IL
    Full Name:
    Phillip K
    Thats my bid! for $40k it will look great in my living room lol!

4. EarlyCat

EarlyCat Moderator
    Moderator Owner

That's where it will have to stay. No epa/dot releases. I don't believe the engine removal story. The engine was removed to ship into US, not a movie. Big dollar movie sets could care less about preserving something disposable like a car. That's how you get a newer car into US without getting it seized, without getting the releases. Shipped as parts. Stated as parts. 25 years old or older is not a problem. Fixing the clutch is the easy part.

It's possible you could title it as a kit car. Same thing was done on Nobles. The car was shipped over without the engine/transaxle, then installed as a complete car.

Google the process, a bond is required to bring it in legally.

5. kiesan

kiesan Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    #5 kiesan, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    According to the seller he has Texas title in hand. Just added to my watched items list hmmm...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. drjohngober

drjohngober Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Where is "Unknown Texas"?

7. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Rookie

Dec 30, 2004
    Good question.

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    It's illegal to import a car as parts and rebuild it into a car. This loop hole was closed for good after Kaizo Industries did that very thing to import in R34 GTRs into the US. Noble does it somehow different being it's not an actual manufacturer like Nissan according to the gov't.

I've been trying to find a way to legally import a newer, clean Defender 110 that isn't 25+ yrs old and rusted out...no luck yet.

9. kiesan

kiesan Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    That looks like a spot for the previous owner to be listed. Perhaps it says "unknown" when the title in question is the 1st time the vehicle was ever titled.

Not all states have this section on their titles.

10. *fill-up*

*fill-up* Rookie

Mar 11, 2011
    Orland Park, IL
    Full Name:
    Phillip K
    Okay guys, you cant register it, or drive it so its not worth bidding on! Just let me get it and complete my apartment!

11. rushdriven

rushdriven Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    John R. Eltringham
    #11 rushdriven, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The car (or a model of it) was put on end in the movie. The motor and drivetrain do weigh quite a bit, so if they did put the car on end there would have been less weight to support.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. DadsFerrari

DadsFerrari Karting

May 31, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    Mister M
    Title says 1992 LAMO ... :( lame-oh??? Hehe

13. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
  14. ralfabco

ralfabco F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixieland
    Full Name:
    Israel Beiteinu
    This is why you do not buy a **(BARGAIN)** car !!!!!!!! I know this car has been in and out of mechanical shops, for quite some time. It was imported into CONUS, in crates of parts.

If you add up all the mechanical and cosmetic receipts, for work that has already been performed and the purchase prices, it is not going to be difficult to purchase a nice Diablo, with no issues.

As far as I know, this car may not even have a legit title. The first easy clue ? Look at the speedometer.

15. key03

key03 Karting

Jun 20, 2011
    Chicago
    It is not even stationary art at that price. I hope you are not serious; and if you are you will be the new owner. Let me be the first to congratulate you.

16. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Remember this thread in 10yrs and 20yrs. Because we will all be saying "remember when we could buy that Bond Diablo for 40k?"

Now, I've said this about the FI Countach......in the last couple of years they were sub 100k cars. Watch.

I also said this about the carbed cars and the 4 liter cars a few years ago.

Not that my word it the holy grail lol :)......but every year that goes by is another year we get further from ever having cars like these again.

17. ralfabco

ralfabco F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixieland
    Full Name:
    Israel Beiteinu
    Peter,

Today, you can buy a decent no-stories Diablo, for 75K and up. The world's best 91-92 car, can be purchased, for somewhere in the low 100's.

Why buy this car ? You would have to spend more than 30K (+), to fix it up. In addition, some items, can never be cleaned up with money - # of previous owners, title issues, U.S. car ?, and other issues etc...

18. TRScotty

TRScotty Rookie

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    eBay ad states the car is here in Tyler, Texas.

I have never seen it, but that's not saying much.
    I have heard of it being spotted here, so it could be a legitimate seller/deal/etc.

I'd be happy to take a look for anyone that's truly interested. ;)

19. phrogs

phrogs Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    MI sometimes wy
    Full Name:
    Johnny

That is for previous owner look at the title again.

20. DCNSX

DCNSX Rookie

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    too crazy - I just watched that movie as part of the "50 years of James Bond". I couldn't tell if the Diablo in the water was real or not.

(really stupid chase scene in the ice house with a Jag and Aston, but the outdoor frozen lake chase was pretty neat.)

21. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    May be I am naive but who would want to put a real diablo nose in water standing up for a movie? Dont they have a budget too? These guys are pro at doing mock-ups and make fake things appear real. Why not do that for a car? Make no sense to me to use a real car.

22. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer Formula 3

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    I bet it was cheaper at the time to rent a real one, bolt it to a bracket and stand it up. I bet the cost to the production was a few thousand pounds.

Sounds like worse things happened to the car, after its involvement in the film.

23. *fill-up*

*fill-up* Rookie

Mar 11, 2011
    Orland Park, IL
    Full Name:
    Phillip K
    Alright so who on here is bidding me up now? This a $60k car on a GOOD day, the car needs about $15-20k worth of work, so the bidding is almost at a point where the buyer will be losing money

24. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Deadbeat bidders. Make the guy an offer off ebay and he'll most likely take it.

25. DennisForza

DennisForza Karting

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I totally agree. IF one can afford the holding costs, I think this is a great long term investment for a car and a bit of Bond-dom. Lamborghini and the Bond films are not coming to an end anytime soon. Our grandchildren and great grandchildren will see this as a valuable piece of history in the not so distant future.